Lake-Link

Electric Winch

8/10/14 @ 12:11 PM
ORIGNAL POST
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
considering an electric winch

anyone have comments stories or recommendations?

wonder how good a laniard works, or is remote control better

free spool is something else I would like

edit: another thought is a hand winch, but with hi/low gearing and free spooling too...

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/15/14 @ 12:03 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
appreciate the opinions and tips!

as it turns out, I may be looking for a new vehicle, so not willing to do a lot of work on this one...

will revisit when I get a different truck

8/13/14 @ 8:16 PM
Kupti
User since 6/15/01
I've tried a few brands of this type equipment and the Power Winch seems to work the best for me. Get the model that matches the load...PLUS...The speed rating in feet per minute is usually higher. Depending on how fancy you want to get...Run the power wire from your tow vehicles battery to a receptacle installed in your bumper or rear interior compartment like I did...(Use the correct gauge wire)...OR...carry a battery in the back of your 'MULE'...Leaving that 'lead acid' buddy open to theft just never turned me on. The SS cables suck,the woven straps suck. I got some West Marine 'super'cordage and I've never looked back...Make sure the load rating is correct,the capacity of the winch spool is large enough to handle the diameter of line plus the length needed. This is not cheap... BUT... we're talking about boats...

8/13/14 @ 9:08 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
Thanks Fish Hound

using a portable power source was something I was considering, that seems like a nice solution

8/13/14 @ 8:35 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
I've tried multiple electric winches over the years and have grown to hate the cable as it gets bound up, gets frayed and pokes you, and is dangerous if there is a mishap turning into a wipe.

I would recommend the Dutton- Lainson TW4000

I had the 9000 model of a much larger boat and it did a great job and I also felt more secure then with a cable pull.

I also added a separate battery to the front of the trailer and wired it to the 12-volt lead on the female side of my trailer plug so it was always fully charged. Boat could be pulled by any vehicle that had the "RV" type plug on the back then and not just one wire to use the winch.

8/13/14 @ 7:29 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
thanks sslayer

8/10/14 @ 9:34 PM
sslayer
User since 6/9/06
Look into the Powerwinch RC 23 or RC 30 models. Both are remote controlled from a key fob size handheld remote. Both have adjustable clutch that will allow free wheeling the cable drum.

The RC 23 is rated at 2400#s single line pull. The RC 30 is rated at 4000#s single line pull.

I used an RC 30 to load my Lund Baron Magnum that weighed right about 3600#s with motors, fuel and gear onto a bunk style trailer. I could load and unload the boat on my own. The remote works great, just attach it to a lanyard and wear it around your neck.

Good Luck

SS

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.