MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

downriggers and pole holders on my new to me boat.

6/7/17 @ 8:08 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

Just picked up a 185 alumacraft, tournament model year 2009 for overall fishing. I was wondering has anyone rigged downriggers and salmon level dipsey pole holders to the wide gunnels on a this model of boat?

This year alumacraft does not have the alumatrax system already built into the gunnel tops.  I don't fish salmon as much as I used to but on nice days I would like to still be able to salmon fish.  The riggers I am removing from my old boat are Big Jons electric captain packs with swivel and quick release mount.  I had 4 riggers but I might only put 2 on aluma craft boat.  

I would like to be able to easily remove riggers for other type fishing. 

I hope someone has crossed this path already and can help me with some ideas.

Thanks Shellfish

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/8/17 @ 3:12 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Those "top access" are the dumbest thing Alumacraft!! I sold the boat in the pictures many years ago.

I agree, track forward and aft of the access doors then. Section of track in the back for a rigger and dipsy holder and then the track in front for a vertical or horizontal multi-rod holder. ( I would install the vertical rod tree)

6/8/17 @ 1:46 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

Check out the setup Brian91z28 has on his crestliner, basic concept I had in mind

http://www.lake-link.com/forums/great-lakes-fishing/lets-see-your-trolling-board-setup/117300/

6/8/17 @ 1:41 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

put a short track in the back for rigger and one rod holder and put a short track closer to windshield for a rod tree (three holders going vertical)

probably dont even need a track for tree if you get right mounting plate so it can easily be removed

6/8/17 @ 1:20 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

Fish hound....nice set up on your alumacraft.  On my 2009, 185 tournament the top of the gunnels have long storage boxes for poles and for storage.  I would not be able to run a long track without going over the storage compartments.  Do you or any one have any other ideas?

Shellfish

6/7/17 @ 9:48 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02

FishHound is spot on. Go with a track system and you can configure your gunnels to what ever type of fishing or boating you want to do in minutes.

6/7/17 @ 8:58 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I've installed riggers and rod holder on two different Alumacraft and used the Traxstech system both times with excellent results. With the wide gunnel I kept the track to the inside so the long rods butts came out of the tube holders easy enough without having to lean way over. Also be sure to thru bolt and add a backing plate, even another piece of plywood helps.

The track system allows you to slide any holder, riggers, or other accessories you want in and out with ease.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.