SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Smoker Craft issue....Please Help

9/7/11 @ 5:17 PM
INITIAL POST
scott_qc
User since 9/7/11
I purchased a 2001 smoker craft stinger 161 from a marina a few weeks ago, long story short when I got it home and took it out I had wet carpeting in the back after about 4 hours on the water. I contacted the marina that I bought it with my issue, they said that the warrenty was clearly stated "as is". I understood this but asked if they could possibly do anything, I brought it back and they looked at it, turns out it is leaking on 10-20 rivets and quoted a $5600 repair but they would do it for $2800. This seemed seemed crazy to me, I understand that some of the decking needs to come out but no way it takes someone 56 hours if they know what they are doing. I then contacted another dealership and they said $2800 seemed to be factory price. I know I got screwed but does anyone have any experience taking on a project like this? What are my chances of tearing it apart and getting it back together myself? Do you know anyone that may be able to do this more reasonably? Thank you for any help you can provide, I am pretty desperate at this point....I also want to do it right, I dont want to cobble it together. Message me if you prefer. Thanks.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 39 posts
10/9/11 @ 4:34 PM
lowdsrtjon
User since 10/9/11
Big Smile Big Smile I bought a Smkr. Craft 162 Pro. Mag. back in 1999. Aside from recarpeting it one time it has been the best boat I have ever owned. I replaced the bilge pump twice but that is a minor problem. It came with a 50hp evinrude (SUZUKI) on it which I upgraded to a 90 HP ETEC in 2005. Maybe I'm lucky but this is the hardest most well boat I ever owned. I have run it in the ocean and suffered no salt damage whatever to it. It is a perfect two man boat that can do 47MPH. with just me in it, it fly's. I don't understand all the put-downs to Smokercraft at all??? Everyone doesn't like Lunds or Crestliners but why post negative things about them unless you think and do it constructively. LDJ Speechless Speechless

10/8/11 @ 11:35 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
what gets me is that a guy posts something like this and then never reveals the name of the place he dealt with if it were me id want to give the name so noone ever dealt with them again..

10/6/11 @ 4:56 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
if they were junky boats they wouldnt have been around for as long as they have been

10/6/11 @ 3:23 PM
gassmann
User since 4/19/07
I have a 98 Smoker-Phantom I bought new, this boat has been to Devils Lake ND every year and bounced through the big waves...A good rain suit...... and a phillips screw driver for a few loosened screws is all I have needed. I have taken some crap about my boat, but the scales at the tournaments don't know that I don't have a Lund, Alumacraft or Ranger. Please tell us the name of the dealer so we don't go there.............
10/6/11 @ 1:20 PM
fishdaily
fishdaily
User since 4/3/03
Have a 2003 Smoker craft. Bought it cause itsa all i could afford at the time. 16 ft stinger. Great boat and has done all i've asked it. not the driest ride in a windy wavy Fishing day, but great buy for the money!! No problems with the boat-- A few witht he Motor, but that was more due to my inexperience and hitting things that aren't supposed to be hit!!!

10/5/11 @ 1:43 PM
Jeezalex
User since 8/21/04
Not every single smokercraft is a POS. I have a 1991 Smokercraft 14 footer that I bought in 2005. Haven't had a single problem with it and I have used and abused it. I recently upgraded to a 17 foot jon boat so I could use it for duck hunting, and still haven't been able to bring myself to sell the smoker. I love that boat.

9/29/11 @ 7:50 PM
wishin4fishin
wishin4fishin
PRO MEMBER User since 7/3/06
I had a 2004 Smokercraft stinger 16 that leaked like a sieve. This was by far the WORST boat I have ever owned. I couldn't figure out why the floors were soft in a 5 year old boat (bought it used in 2009) until I noticed all the water in it. I have owned all different brands of boats and never had any problems but I will NEVER buy another Smoker, what a P.O.S. Puke Puke Puke

9/29/11 @ 4:37 PM
GRANDAD
User since 6/1/09
I purchased my 1st.and last Smoker Craft in 1988, I Bought it in Jan. and picked it up in a snow storm in late March. So I did not check it to close until I took it on the River a week later,IT had over 100 miss drilled Rivet holes in it PAINT was the only thing keeping the water OUT!!! After many phone calls to the MFG. they agreed to replace the boat with another Model, if I did the rerigging! I did and sold the Boat!!! Bought a LUND and since then thats all I will OWN!

9/29/11 @ 2:17 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
Why do we not know the name of the dealership yet?

9/27/11 @ 8:41 PM
wannabefishin
User since 4/6/07
they aint called jokercraft for nothing

9/11/11 @ 7:36 AM
Rob92761
Rob92761
User since 1/16/07
i would like to know who said it was as is, Salesman?

if so go over his head, owner, manger and see what they say they will do.

If that doesn't work go in their when their is a lot of customers and in loud voice tell them what kind of business they are running. then you might get what you want. if you don't it will sure make you feel better.

IMO usually talking to a manger or owner you will get results.

9/10/11 @ 11:43 PM
Boatdoctor
Boatdoctor
User since 12/3/05
I'd still have a third party opinion on this.

There's no way, based on the information provided, you should trust this place.

Even if it was for free, I wouldn't have them touch my property.

Neither should you.

I'd actually diagnose it for free for you. I'd really like to see 10-20 rivets leaking. I just don't believe it. No visable impacts or anything?

And a $5600 estimate? Even at $100 per hour, that gives them 56 man hours to fix 20 rivets. I can have all floors out, cut new wood, installed and carpeted in a 17' boat in under 16 hours. So even if they have to disassemble the floor, where's the other 40 hours going?

Don't walk, run away from this place.

And for the rest of us, disclose the business name and location.

It's no different that complaining to the BBB.

The only people who will benefit by it are the people who should- customers.

The business should have no issue being disclosed, if they feel they're handling the situation right.

9/10/11 @ 8:59 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
what marina is this so i never go there...

9/10/11 @ 6:51 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04
Be sure to have them guarantee the repair. $500 for a repair that is not done right is not a good deal. After them telling you to sell the boat to someone else, I would not trust them as far as I could throw them.

9/10/11 @ 1:47 PM
scott_qc
User since 9/7/11
Well I think we have come to a resolution. We decided that I would drop it off sometime in November and they will fix it during the winter. I told them that as long as it is done by March i am fine with it. I told them that I would cover half the price up to $500 and they are on the hook for the rest. I have it in writing so hopefully this issue is settled. This seemed like a fair deal for both of us so hopefully it will go smoothly from here on out. Thanks for the opinions.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 39 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE