SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Help - question Mercury 40hp Motor

6/27/08 @ 8:58 AM
INITIAL POST
G10Jigee
User since 7/22/07
Last night we were crusing along wide open on Lake Winnebago and all of a sudden the motor just completely lost power and quit running. It's a 1992 Mec 40hp which I could get restarted, but it would not stay running and sounded funny. Lucky we were not real far from the landing, so we had to limp back to the landing with the trolling motor. I am baffeled, what would cause the motor to just lose power??? Is the motor shot???

Thanks for any help or suggestions on what to do. Crying Worried

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
9/8/09 @ 10:40 PM
fireflight72
User since 8/26/09
Well, the split oil line was the problem. After the fix, my 40 runs like a champ!

9/8/09 @ 10:40 PM
fireflight72
User since 8/26/09
Well, the split oil line was the problem. After the fix, my 40 runs like a champ!

8/27/09 @ 4:23 PM
marinerman
User since 6/27/01
If you guys are having Mercury or Mariner problems get in touch with The Boat Doc in Lomira. Great guy - took care of my 92 Mariner this spring.

8/26/09 @ 3:47 PM
fireflight72
User since 8/26/09
I have a 1992 Mercury 40 hp Classic 4-cyl. I had the same thing happen to me on the Illinois River. I had noticed 2 cycle oil leaking out from the cowl and thought to myself I should find the source of the leak. I found the leak alright... the hose from the oil pump to the fuel line split open on me. I didn't know what was wrong at the time but I couldn't run past 1/2 throttle without the motor cutting out. I got back to the launch with my trolling motor. Later that day I found the leak/split hose. I replaced the hose with Goodyear fuel line and it runs much better. The motor sounded like it dropped one or two cylinders and on the flush ears at home idled very rough. After the hose fix it idles much better. Haven't had a chance to get it out and test it for sure yet. Let us know what you find out!

7/25/08 @ 3:51 PM
G10Jigee
User since 7/22/07
Found out that Ethanol destroyed the seals, motors pretty much toast. They said Mercury does not make the old type seals anymore. Lbc, did the same thing happen to you? We either have to buy a new boat/motor or just a new motor - YIKES they aren't cheap! Worried Angry

6/30/08 @ 9:11 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer
User since 4/20/08
dont run premium in your motor... we were told by the so called mercury expert not too run anything but regular gas in your outboard motors... he said premium gas supposidly will collect more water in your gas....

6/29/08 @ 2:55 PM
haulin bass
haulin bass
User since 4/8/07
It is most likely a fuel problem (bulb, filter, carb). Unclesmallie is correct. Ethanol slowly dissolves the plastic components in your motor (carb). That is what happened to my Yamaha.

6/29/08 @ 8:37 AM
G10Jigee
User since 7/22/07
Thanks everyone, and feel free to give me some more thoughts and opinions on what went wrong. Took it to Mr. Outboard yesterday and they are going to check it over on Monday. Hope it's not something serious that's going to cost me an arm and a leg. Crying

I don't think the motor overheated, because we left the lauch just 5 minutes before it happened.

Will report back, Jigee

6/28/08 @ 8:45 PM
STEVE L
STEVE L
User since 4/19/02
You may have overheated the motor. Run a compression check and a diagnostics.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE