SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Warning signal on Merc 89 100 hp

9/22/15 @ 6:57 PM
INITIAL POST
lad 8
User since 5/4/08
While running the warning signal started chirping, I think it is the oil pump. It would signal about every second. The reason I think because the water pump signal. Was louder and stayed on. What do you think. The oil tank was half full. Engine not smoking at idle.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
10/5/15 @ 9:27 AM
lad 8
User since 5/4/08
It was the oil tank, took it in to M&W they replaced it for me. Will check it out tomorrow.
9/27/15 @ 3:29 PM
mooselegs
User since 5/27/03
..I just finished replacing the oil tank in my Mercury 60HP tiller.....pretty easy fix. Now I don't have to worry about the low oil level alarm.....it functions like it was designed to.
9/24/15 @ 7:24 AM
mooselegs
User since 5/27/03
I have a 1996 Merc 60hp tiller. This same thing just happened to me. I contacted the dealer and he told me exactly the same thing same that 2nd Shift described below. I too have purchased a new tank; plan to install it this week because next week we leave for our final week of soft water fishing the TFF.
9/23/15 @ 11:00 AM
lad 8
User since 5/4/08
Checked oil flow at fuel pump while running engine, no smoke. Took oil line off at fuel pump, no oil flow. Thanks for the responses
9/23/15 @ 6:26 AM
smokey1488
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
I have had this happen and it was the batter voltage. I have Mercury Smart Craft System and it starts blinking low battery voltage so it cuts thought the guess work. I posted a thread a while back on alternators pricing I was amazed. However make sure that it is still oiling as years ago I had one quit oiling and it did a major melt down.
9/22/15 @ 10:42 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
Is your battery voltage ok? If thats low it can set alarm off too.
9/22/15 @ 7:14 PM
2nd shift
2nd shift
User since 8/7/15
I had the same thing happen on my 1999 125. The oil tank was half full but the alarm was going off. I looked around and found info that said to disconnect the wire going to the bottom of the oil tank. If the alarm stopped it was a bad sending unit. It did. No more alarm. Mercury decided to glue a magnet to a float inside the tank. After years of soaking, the glue let loose and the magnet dropped. That told the sensor the tank was empty. The only cure was to replace the oil tank. There's no way to remove the float and magnet without cutting the tank apart. Option #2 would have been to leave the wire disconnected and keep a close eye on the oil level. I chose to replace the tank.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE