MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

How long should a Trolling Motor Battery last?

6/18/13 @ 10:51 PM
ORIGNAL POST
BigShow0003
MEMBER since 7/28/09
I'm sure there are multiple factors contributing to this answer, but on average how long should a fully charged trolling motor battery last with moderate to constant use? I have a used boat and just put in a new trolling motor battery - I have no idea how much performance I should expect to get.

A typical day for me is 6 to 8 hrs on the water with the trolling motor running moderately to constantly at slow speeds. (Just to keep the boat moving for slow drifts - musky or bass fishing).

Thanks in advance! Big Show

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/10/13 @ 7:46 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
6-8 hours seems reasonable with an older motor. Battery group size could play a role in life but on a 12v older power drive a 24 to 27 group battery running between 6-8 hours is in line with where you can expect yourself to be.

7/9/13 @ 5:51 PM
BigShow0003
MEMBER since 7/28/09
Older Power Drive. Unsure how old... I would estimate 5 - 7 years.

7/9/13 @ 12:21 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
"Trolling Motor is a Minn Kota 55lbs;"

Still need more info. Is it a Terrova? Older Power Drive? Newer Power Drive? The newer motors are more efficient with power than the older models are. An 80lb Terrova with iPilot and Universal Sonar won't kill batteries the same way a 10 year old 65lb Power Drive without anything such as Autopilot, universal sonar, etc. will.

7/9/13 @ 12:02 PM
BigShow0003
MEMBER since 7/28/09
I apologize for the lengthy delay in answers to the questions below -

The boat is a 16' Alumacraft Magnum. Trolling Motor is a Minn Kota 55lbs; foot pedal, no autopilot or sonar. The battery is a brand new Marine Deep Cycle and only runs the trolling motor, nothing else. Thanks again!

Big Show

6/22/13 @ 9:07 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
i get 2 days of hard running on m 55 pound terrova on my 14 foot mirro craft

6/19/13 @ 7:27 AM
fishdaily
fishdaily
User since 4/3/03
I have a 16 ft smoker craft. with 50lb trolling motor (12 volt system). I have used it for a 4-5 days chucking musky baits up north before it dies. It does alright even trolling for Walleye for hours on end. I dont have many fancy electronics in my boat and the fm radio doesnt work any longer so its just the trolling motor and ffish finder drawing juice.

My last set of batteries lasted 8 yrs. I hope to get at least 5 yrs from a set.

6/19/13 @ 6:21 AM
sportsman101
User since 12/3/11
I have a 16.5 ft stratos with 55 lb terrova with the bigger blue top optima battery and it usually lasts 8 hrs depending on the wind. I usually have the ipilot set at .4 or .5 mph

6/18/13 @ 11:56 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
Kinda hard to answer that question. How big is the boat? What size trolling motor do you have? What size is your battery? Is it a deep cycle or dual purpose battery? What is the reserve capacity on your battery? Are you running anything else off of your battery? What type of trolling motor is it (i.e. does it have autopilot, ipilot, is it cable drive...etc...)?

If it's a bigger boat with a 12v motor that you are pushing hard then your battery life is going to suffer. If battery life is a concern the quickest and easiest way to improve in this area is to jump up a battery size or two...and if you are only running the trolling motor off of it, get a deep cycle marine battery. Without knowing some of the other answers to those questions above it's really tough to say how long a battery should last.

I will say this though....I upgraded my system from an older powerdrive to a Terrova that is considerably bigger and has ipilot. Same size batteries, beefed up my wiring (8ga before, 4ga after) and that Terrova doesn't eat battery life up close to what the older PD did. Newer technology combined with better wiring makes a huge difference.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 9 OF 9 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.