LOGIN
Lake-Link

can you hook up a trolling motor to an out board

4/27/14 @ 3:18 PM
ORIGNAL POST
jasonv
jasonv
User since 3/1/09
I have a regular trolling motor and want to know if you can hook it up to the outboard steering shaft so you can control the trolling motor with the steering wheel? I'm sure there is a way I just have not been able to figure it out. if someone could give me some pointers if you have done it yourself please let me know how you did it, thanks in advance

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/7/14 @ 6:35 PM
jasonv
jasonv
User since 3/1/09
thank you all for your input. sorry for not specifying it is an electric motor. I will try some of your ideas and hopefully it will work out for me. thanks again

4/30/14 @ 8:46 AM
Gone 4 Now
User since 4/26/08
What is a "regular trolling motor" ? Gas or electric ?

4/29/14 @ 5:16 PM
popi
MEMBER since 9/25/08
Look at the Panther connecting rods for an idea.

4/29/14 @ 3:03 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
The response just prior to mine is a bit complicated for something that could be done in a simple way.

The idea of locking the trolling motor ahead and using the big motor as a rudder would work.

How about this... Think of those linkage arms you can get that connect your big motor to a kicker. Build your own. Same concept here. Get a large enough piece of PVC that fits over the handle of the trolling motor. Connect that to a piece of conduit, half by half, etc. This is your steering linkage. Connect that to the main motor. Voila... problem solved. It should take maybe 3 screws/bolts at most. A piece of PVC which isn't expensive at all. And a long enough piece of conduit/half by half, etc. which also isn't going to kill the wallet. And maybe a few other simple things that you probably have on hand already to make the linkage connections. That's it... Trolling motor isn't completely modified. To stow the TM when making a run just slide the PVC off of the TM handle and stow it.

Cheap, simple, should be able to build it for less than $20, and it would take very little time to build.

4/29/14 @ 2:26 PM
bluhog
bluhog
User since 2/20/10
Dittos solution works, I've done that before, but if you're set on a permanent mount take it to your local weld shop. A small flat plate for a base to bolt on like a whale tail. Add a vertical plate and then a cradle (section of 3-4" pipe) for the trolling motor to sit in with large hose clamps. If you can't afford aluminum or stainless, steel would work but you have to paint the heck out of it and don't scratch it. Of course the shaft would have to be removed and the speed control located elsewhere. or... just got an e-mail from the Possum Lodge...

Get a 4" PVC toilet floor flange. Turn it upside down so the pipe goes up and trim to fit on the anti cavitation plate. Add a few inches of 4" PVC vertically. Then cut a 4" PVC tee in half to form the cradle and mount this to the 4" vertical PVC. Add trolling motor and hose clamps and troll away!

4/29/14 @ 9:43 AM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
I assume you're talking about an electric trolling motor. If that's the case just jury rig it so it's locked straight ahead and use the big motor as a "rudder"

4/29/14 @ 9:01 AM
bluhog
bluhog
User since 2/20/10
Red Green could do it for less than $5.00

4/28/14 @ 6:57 PM
jasonv
jasonv
User since 3/1/09
that would be a nicer way to go about it if a person could afford to go that route, but unfortunately for me that is not an option!

4/27/14 @ 6:22 PM
DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 10 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.