LOGIN
Lake-Link

Broken Skag

3/22/17 @ 7:56 AM
ORIGNAL POST
eyewalls
eyewalls
User since 6/25/04

I have a 115 hp Johnson that needs the Skag repaired.   My son hit something and tore half of it off.    It's not leaking but it's really close to the drain plug.  Should I replace it, Cost?, with a new one or put on one of those Skags that slip over the old one and gets bolted on?    Any advise or place to get it repaired is appreciated.     The motor is about 15 years old.  Green Bay area.   Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/30/17 @ 8:55 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Interesting, maybe you guys turned me around on this.  As  mentioned, my skeg repair didn't last a season.  I didn't hit anything either...  Put my boat on the trailer and noticed that it was gone again...

Lots of people weld, but few know how to weld aluminum and do it well.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/29/17 @ 6:29 PM
Hooky
MEMBER since 12/17/01

I would also go to Green Bay propeller. Northern Brown County on I-41.

3/29/17 @ 1:45 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12

Im a welder by trade if it didnt last the guy who did it didnt know what he was doing.  Get it welded back on. 

3/28/17 @ 8:29 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

Take it to Green Bay propeller and ask them. I bought a rig with a broken skeg and they fixed me up for about $250 7yrs ago. Mine was rewelded and was perfect after they were done. If it's broke too close to lower unit, it can't be welded and unfortunately the lower unit housing will need replacement.

3/27/17 @ 5:24 PM
popi
MEMBER since 9/25/08

If you bolt one on and hit something, your lower unit is usually toast.

Weld it on and you are safe to possibly break it again and still have a chance of fixing it.

Precision Weld Randy is the best but there has to be someone up by Green Bay area.

3/27/17 @ 9:17 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

I agree with jkb.  If your previous weld didn't last a eyar, I would either suspect another collision with something, or perhaps not the best weld to begin with.

3/26/17 @ 2:21 PM
jkb
User since 6/25/02

I disagree on the statement that welded skeg repairs don't last.  I shaved most of my skeg off on the rockbar downstream of the Prarie du Sac dam 25 years ago and a buddy from high school was one of the few welders in the state at that time to be trained in skeg welding repair.  That one lasted 12 years until I sold the boat.  Last year water rose on the lake I was on and it was enough to hide the rock bar that was an island for 10 previous years.  That skeg was busted almost to the gear housing.  Cost less than $100 and looks like new. Business just west of Woodruff on 70 did the work.

3/25/17 @ 10:15 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

I broke the skeg on my previous motor (a Merc XR6), the repair didn't make it through one season. 

They make some really nice skeg guards these days...  You can even purchase them custom to match the color of your motor. 

A welded repair usually costs around $200 to $300. 

I think your money ahead to purchase a skeg guard.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/23/17 @ 9:04 AM
North Shore
User since 2/13/13

I know it doesn't make sense to bring it to West Bend from GB.  For those with a broken skeg in SE WI, look up Precision Weld in West Bend.  Quick, good service and reasonable price.  Mine was bad, only 1-2 inches left below gear housing.  Smoked the submerged rocks a couple hundred yards out from the Pensaukee lighthouse.  Those things go way out.  Channel wasn't marked yet.    

3/22/17 @ 10:36 PM
muskie nut
muskie nut
User since 6/26/01
"Take it to a prop repair place they can weld a new skeg on and it will look good as new."

+ 1

Do it right and get it repaired as Tim says. And should add the you make sure your son pays for the damage.  Make him own the responsibility of using your stuff.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 12 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.