Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Boat trailer style

7/7/14 @ 7:59 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Warren65
User since 7/6/14
Hello I am not sure which type of trailer is better. I am heading towards the roller type trailer instead of the bunk type.

Are there any recommendations?

Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 21 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
7/15/14 @ 6:42 AM
popi
MEMBER since 9/25/08
IMHO, roller on smaller boats that go in shallower water, after that -bunks

7/13/14 @ 11:20 AM
Diesel1
User since 8/25/09
Just a clarification on Alumacraft warranty and roller statement mentioned earlier. That is not correct in the recent manuals. Purchased my competitor last year with a roller trailer. Alumacraft has recommendations for rollers and other trailers for the best fit and support of the rig.

My Alumacraft manual does not state roller trailers void the warrenty as a blanket statement. It may have stated that for an older manual. It explains the fit and placement of the boat on trailer, the roller configuration and roller in full contact with the boat.

I comment on this because I went through this learning exercise on roller versus bunks. It is anyones preference but a good roller or bunk trailer matched to the rigs is what is best.

D

7/9/14 @ 8:02 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
The biggest factor for me is the depth at the launches that I normally use. I would never be able to get my bigger boat off of a bunk trailer at some of the launches in N. Wisconsin most of the year. There just isn't enough depth. My Shoreland'r roller works with just about any launch including the one on our property that's usually only about knee deep most of the summer. I know guys that love their bunks but they only fish bigger waters like Michigan, Green Bay and Bago where the launches are deeper.

7/9/14 @ 6:09 AM
Wolfden
User since 4/7/09
I have had 1 roller and 2 bunk trailers.

seems boats always lined up better on the bunks than the roller trailer. I always had to re-adjust on the roller trailer Learned after many years of launching by myself with the bunks I can unhook, put a line wrapped to bumper of truck so when I back in boat slids off. I get out take line off bumper and tie to dock. Getting out, always carry a set of hip waders in truck so depending on launch if I need to get in water, use them so I can stay dry. Comes in handy in cold water spring/fall.

7/8/14 @ 8:51 PM
Hulltech
User since 6/22/01
When I back in to load the boat, I make sure I'm close to the dock. I just lean over and hook the winch strap on to the front of the boat. At most I have to step on to the wheel fender. The back rollers are just touching the water. The same goes for launching, I back in just far enough to get the back end of the boat wet, unhook the chain and strap and give it a push while holding on to the rope and it just rolls right off. I launch and load by myself all the time. The only time it becomes a little tricky is when I launch at the marina in Sheboygan because of the way the docks are set up.

7/8/14 @ 1:45 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
No boat maker I ever looked at had a void in warranty to the hull with a roller trailer. If the warranty is that weak why would anyone purchase that type of boat anyway?

7/8/14 @ 12:29 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
There really are a bunch of variables at play before you can determine that this type is better than that type. Not all boat landings are the same and there are plenty where it doesn't matter the type of trailer you have, you can expect to get wet feet.

The key with a roller is that they are more touchy in terms of how deep you have them in the water and how level they are. 99% of the problems people have loading on those types of trailers can be traced back to it being in too deep or not deep enough or if it is not level enough. Eliminate those issues and it's a cinch.

Unloading mine is easy and I don't have to back it in very far at all. Get the back end in, unhook the chain and strap, grab the rope and give it a push and it rolls right off. You won't be able to do that as easily with a bunk trailer because the bunks have more contact area with the boat and won't slide/roll as easy.

Loading is pretty simple too, but as I said before, the trailer has to be in deep enough but not too deep and having it level helps a ton. I can ease mine onto the trailer with the outboard and simply leave it in gear at an idle to hold it in place. Hop up to the front and clip the strap on. Shut the motor off, hop out and crank it up. Never have to power load. In situations where I've had to do a 100% hand loading job I can pull it up far enough on those rollers with my lead rope and still run little risk of getting my feet wet.

One other key with rollers is that you do preventative maintenance. Any time my boat is off the trailer I take a look at the rollers on it making sure they are able to spin freely and making note of any that need to be replaced.

My Lund came with no such warning that if used on a roller trailer the warranty would be voided.

7/8/14 @ 11:55 AM
JethroBodine
User since 12/21/01
Ah- I never had the stones (skill?) to leave the motor on pushing it into the trailer, was always afraid I'd be off and the boat would drive into the truck. (and I'd make the "boat launch idiots" thread)

With the bunks when I leave the last 10" or so exposed it's enough to hold the boat in place, but I don't have to open the throttle to push it that high. (so I just go up and check where I'm at, adjust as necessary)

Tight lines.

7/8/14 @ 10:39 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
If it's an all concrete landing with my roller trailer I just do what the guys with the bunk do. I drive it all the way up and leave the throttle open enough to keep it in place and hook up and shut the motor off. If it's a half concrete landing I have long hook and hook the strap and hook up the boat and crank it on.

For putting the boat in I do the same if it's an all concrete landing I start the motor give little gas unhook and back off. If it's not I wrap a my rope around the arm of the trailer once. Unhook and let the boat slide off the trailer.

I do less damage than guys with bunks do to a landing. I would bet 8 out of 10 bunk guys drive their boat on no matter what the landing is like. I have nothing against either I just do lot of loading in shallow boat landings. With my 18ft v I don't want to have to be picky on what landing I use.

My boat is 7 years old now and has been on bumpy roads in Canada and MN couple times a year. Every other year I have slid my boat on the trailer to check for any damage to the hull from the rollers. So far nothing. So either I'm lucky or I know how to strap down a boat?

My old trailer had both. I don't see those new anymore. It had the bunk in the middle and rollers on the outside. Seemed like a good balance of (good vs evil) to me. I asked about them when I bought my new boat guy said they are no longer available. Like I said before I went with the bunk. 2 months into the season I took the hit and traded it in for a roller.

7/8/14 @ 5:36 AM
JethroBodine
User since 12/21/01
" I also haven't had to get in the water to hook up my winch strap to put it back on the trailer at the end of the day."

How do you do this Hulltech? I'm not doubting you, I just never figured it out when I had a roller trailer.

I always had to balance on the trailer, or stand in the water because when I tried to drive up and hook it the boat would roll back because the ramps are at an angle.

Agreed that power loading damages landings, I back in till the bunks are mainly submerged and use tall load guides.

Meant no offense with my comments on roller trailers, I just never figured out how to load them without the balancing act or wet feet, and to me, that's the key factor in buying or recommending a trailer.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 21 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.