Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

boat floor replacement

6/12/13 @ 8:04 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Fritz
User since 6/27/01
I have a soft spot in my floor. I was thinking about trying to repair or replacement it myself, but wonder if anybody has had any experience with a professional doing it. If I do it, it probably would take me months. Smile

If you have had it done, who did it and were you satisfied?

Thanks,

Fritz

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/24/14 @ 4:58 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
this is how i did mine

6/21/14 @ 6:19 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
i pieced together my bottom floor and screwed it into the ribs of the boat I used half inch for the sub floor and 3/4s for the front and back deck/seat

6/21/14 @ 12:37 PM
Badgerloader
User since 4/10/11
I used 3/8" plywood set on top of top of 2x4 "joists".

6/21/14 @ 4:52 AM
ifishwis
User since 6/27/02
I just got an older aluminum "rowboat" and would like to put a floor in. What size plywood would you recommend? 1/2" or 3/4" or other?

7/10/13 @ 1:20 PM
bonz-dragon
User since 6/16/09
This really is an easy project on a tin boat. To see lots of what others have done try iboats.com forums resto section.

6/24/13 @ 9:14 PM
Fritz
User since 6/27/01
Thanks for the info.

I have been thinking about doing it myself and just doing the one area that has a soft spot. Since it is on the front deck, I think the section might just all come out by just removing all the screws. Of course, trying to match carpet would be a real pain. Also, there is one hatch cover for the battery compartment which is part of it.

Fritz

6/24/13 @ 6:06 PM
cbreeze
User since 3/3/13
Greetings,

I just replaced the floor on my 14 1/2 Sea Nymph. It is an aluminum deep V. I had priced it out and got several quotes upwards of $800.00. Did research on the Internet then decided to do it myself. I used 1/2" marine ply to replace the 1/2" that was in the boat. I sealed the ply with epoxy resin. I then found marine carpeting at Lowe's that was very close to what was in the boat. I used stainless screws to secure the floor to the stringers and was done. Probably cost me $275.00 in material. It actually was easier than I thought and turned out very well. The only downside was having time to do the project. I worked on it when I could and eventually got it done and saved myself around $600.00.

Bottom line is that it is very expensive to have someone else do the job. If you are the least bit handy, try and do it yourself. Contact me if you have any questions or need advice.

cbreeze

6/19/13 @ 9:27 PM
Buster1
User since 9/14/06
Fritz, replacing a floor is really a simple job as long as you do not find your stringers rotted when the floor is lifted. Just take a circle saw, set the blade at an angle and just deep enough to cut through the plywood. I would guess the plywood would be 3/4 inch thick. As was mentioned in an earlier post, make sure you cut outside the stringers, then lift the rotted piece out, cut your new one to fit, refiberglass the edges and your done.

6/18/13 @ 12:05 PM
Vince B
Vince B
User since 8/1/10
I did my boat when my Dad owned it like 30 years ago and used wulminized(sp?) plywood. Still going strong!

6/15/13 @ 1:01 PM
Boogie
Boogie
MEMBER since 1/25/02
If you don't want to do the whole floor and you don't mind the floor not looking beautiful, cut a piece of marine ply wood that spans the stringers and screw it down over the soft spot. I did this with my boat when the wood rotted out under the seat. It has held up for 3 years and I was able to put off replacing the whole floor because of one spot.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.