Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Battery question...

6/24/15 @ 11:44 AM
ORIGNAL POST
boge
User since 2/2/06
Can I use a car battery I have laying around as a starting battery for my 93 Evinrude 120? Thanks!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/18/15 @ 8:17 PM
scrub
User since 8/15/06
Prop....with your info first thing that comes to mind is u have a hot wire that is touching the inside hull of your boat draining your battery. And just in case u doubt it, be warned, I have a friend who bought a brand new alumacraft and was having the same problem as u are. Alumacraft wired the boat wrong long story short, so the unthinkable does happen. Look at your transom, look for small pitting indicating electrolysis, if so, u got a hot wire that is exposed and touching metal Edit...check voltage regulator on motor also

9/8/15 @ 9:23 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
My starter battery this summer goes down after it's been running for awhile. Gauge drops and the alarm will sound. Battery is always fully charged and even bought a new one couple months ago, same thing happens. Any ideas what could be draining it?

6/30/15 @ 3:06 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01
here's a pretty good answer to the differences between a marine and auto starting battery... boils down to usage and construction

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/the-difference-between-car-and-boat-batteries/article1372050/

...bottom line, you can use your auto battery, but it's not really made to perform like a marine battery

6/30/15 @ 2:36 PM
poptop
User since 10/1/03
get adaptor terminals and use it till it dies. no sense letting a good battery go to waste if you have no other use for it.

6/29/15 @ 11:02 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12
Ed good point on the sudden jarring that a boat battery typically takes!!

6/24/15 @ 9:31 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
It will work.. However it is not made to take sudden jars so the life is not as good. I would get a marine starting battery as they are not all that expensive. Not a battery expert just telling you what I have been told.

Big Ed’s Guide Service
(573) 692-6710
6/24/15 @ 9:18 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12
Good question. I imagine that you could as long as you are using it for a starting battery only. However keep in mind, car batteries typically have a post with the clamp being on the wire, where marine batteries have a much smaller post with a nut on the battery post to keep the wires one.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.