Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

anyone familiar with mercury proxs

9/30/14 @ 8:19 AM
ORIGNAL POST
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
my dad is looking at buying a new boat and he is looking at the mercury proxs 150 anyone have and experience with these motors pros cons?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/12/14 @ 8:44 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Korey Sprengel just won two championships. He just won MWC Championship on Devils Lake, and the NWT Championship on Bay de Noc. He runs a Merc Pro XS.

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
10/11/14 @ 1:45 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
thanks for the input he decided to go with the fourstroke since he has 3 of them now the maintenance is simple on them.

10/11/14 @ 1:45 PM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
thanks for the input he decided to go with the fourstroke since he has 3 of them now the maintenance is simple on them.

10/11/14 @ 6:14 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Yea Tommy, agree with everything you say. I honestly can't believe some guys complain about the "Wicked Smell" of a two stroke. They must have grown up in the house all their life. The fact is they're all good motors. Usually when someone has a bad experience with a motor, they hate it for life.

10/11/14 @ 6:14 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12
Yea Tommy, agree with everything you say. I honestly can't believe some guys complain about the "Wicked Smell" of a two stroke. They must have grown up in the house all their life. The fact is they're all good motors. Usually when someone has a bad experience with a motor, they hate it for life.

10/10/14 @ 12:14 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
Both posters make some excellent points about four strokes, they are indeed great motors. I, however wouldn't hesitate for a minute buying a PRO XS. In fact if I was ordering a new boat, that's the way I would go. I still love the sound of that big throaty two stroke firing up in the morning. Maybe because I was raised using two strokes, I just love the sound, the smell of a big Merc, to me, that's what an outboard is suppose to sound like. Just me!

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
10/9/14 @ 4:40 AM
B Fish
User since 6/26/10
No doubt the Pro XS is a great motor, so is the optimax. But these motors are slowly being phazed out for the four strokes.

The differences if you compare the two are just not factors anymore as in non-measurable (Weight, noise, speed, smell, hole shot, cost, etc) They are both great. But the number of 2 strokes vs four strokes being offered every year gets smaller all the time. We will probably see the day when you can't get a 2 stroke.

I had been an Opti guy for many years and never had a problem. I bought a Merc 150 four stroke last spring and all I can say is WOW, what a motor. Amazing hole shot (with a Tempest Prop which has adjustable ports to improve hole shot with out robbing top end)(scary fast top end = 55+), never have to add oil which when I bought it I didn't think was a big deal, but after a season of not worrying about that is really nice. Plus the changing the oil is 100 times easier than on a car and cost me about $40, much less than the amount of two stoke oil I would have consumed in a season.

So I know someone will shortly come on and bash me as being wrong which is normal for this site and why others refrain from commenting. But with the number of good 4 strokes out there and the differences between a 2 & 4 being basically non-measurable I don't know why anyone would not buy a 4.

Have a nice day.

Smile

10/8/14 @ 1:06 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02
Possibly still popular with the bass guys but most of the Walleye pros that do run Mercury have begun to go away from them in favor of the larger Verado 4-strokes. The 250 Pro XS just isn't enough on today's big 21' plus rigs.

That being said the 250 Pro XS was the workhorse for many years. I believe the smaller versions of the "XS" are relatively new to the market. In your case it's a "hot" 150 meaning it produces some extra horsepower set up to do so from the factory.

10/8/14 @ 12:19 PM
Tommy Howell
User since 7/11/11
The Mercury PRO XS is absolutely top of the line! Take a look at any tournament bass or walleye, and you'll see a majority of the Pro's run nothing but!

Tommy's Guide Service
(218) 403-1075
DISPLAYING 1 TO 8 OF 8 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.