Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

AGM Trolling Motor Batteries

10/5/14 @ 8:41 AM
ORIGNAL POST
big lund
User since 3/11/03
I have two of them for my trolling motor and have them hooked up to my onboard charger. I have a 2001 Lund Pro-V. I would assume that is a trickle charging system. I also have one for running my electronics and all other stuff bilge pump, livewell pumps, lights and radio. For that battery I have an Exide charger and also assume that is also a trickle charger. My question is are these o k to use on these types of batteries?? Someone I was talking to said that I needed a different type of charger for these batteries?? Would like to keep the chargers that I have.Dont want to go buy new chargers. Would like some feedback from anyone that have these type of batteries. Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
10/15/14 @ 9:43 PM
Lectrotech
Lectrotech
User since 11/19/09
Most of my AGM's are on standby, meaning they spend most of their time charged. For this use they run between 13.5 and 13.8 volts. In cycle use they can charge to 14.4 but not for long, I don't recommend charging that high, there is no need for it.

hntsox, Nice charger.

10/8/14 @ 12:17 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04
if I remember correctly you can tell by the specifications on the charging voltage level. I think it needs to be above 13.2 volts to charge an AGM properly, otherwise will lose top end capacity on the battery over time.

If you go to the battery manufacturers website, they will usually have the number your charger must trickle charge at. It might even be 14.something for certain batteries.

10/8/14 @ 12:07 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02
you will need to check the chargers you have. Depending on the charger and when it was made, they may not play nice together. I had a switch on my on board charger that I had to put on "AGM" in order to charge correctly. Check your model of charger.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.