LOGIN
Lake-Link

79 johson wot problems

3/27/18 @ 8:07 AM
ORIGNAL POST
slipery
slipery
User since 1/30/11

Good Morning ; Need advise , My 79 Johnson 35 hp starts and run great until I hit the gas wot It goes about half speed , If I pull choke it will run full , ? It is electric start with electric choke , Fresh gas new after market line and bulb cleaned fuel pump screen witch was clean no leaks on line or tank . As I said if I apply choke it runs wot . Any fresh Ideas ? PETE 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
3/28/18 @ 9:28 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Once you get everything running properly, run a fuel maintainer in every tank.  For older motors with carbs, this is the easiest way to keep them running smooth. 

I use Seafoam in every tank for my motors with carbs.  Lots of other quality fuel maintainers out there too, the important thing is using one!

Best of luck!

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/28/18 @ 9:15 AM
slipery
slipery
User since 1/30/11

Thanks I agree with you I am ordering kit and will be installing line filter.These carbs must plug easy owned boat 2 years last person put new carb on had same problem before . Gas tank appears clean as does the pump filter . Plan to rebuild both , cheaper than new Power Head .

3/27/18 @ 3:56 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Mark nailed it - time to clean the carb.  

Most outboard issues are fuel related. Pull out your carbs and clean / rebuild them.  Sometimes it helps to soak them overnight in cleaner - the jets can really be stubborn sometimes.  

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
3/27/18 @ 11:12 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

Clean/rebuild the carburetor.Seems like it is running too lean,and you will smoke the powerhead with that.High speed jet is probably dirty.

Motor is starving for fuel,and anytime you have to use choke to gain power,something is wrong.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 5 OF 5 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.