LOGIN
Lake-Link

50HP outboard and Terrova Trolling

4/2/18 @ 7:46 AM
ORIGNAL POST
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

So i have really liked trolling with my terrova at 1-1.5MPH, I am concerned I might not be able to get to appropriate salmon and definitely not musky trolling speeds.  

So the question is - does anyone run there terrrova and outboard at the same time?   My outboard is a 50HP, but it really do not like idling down with out stalling out (that could be another topic).   What I do is run drift socks out both sides to slow boat down when needed for salmon.  

Ideally I could use the terrova at a lower speed setting, but still keep boat from spinning.  Anyone had luck doing this?    Any valuable lessons learned?  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
4/14/18 @ 4:10 PM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

Yes do this often, troll with kicker and steer with bow mount

4/2/18 @ 5:07 PM
LUV2HNT
User since 11/3/03

The key is to get the boat tracking staight as an arrow with both deployed and running. Then just use bowmount to make turns. I did it when I only had auto pilot and now with Ipilot I can record a track and keep going over the exact same route.

4/2/18 @ 11:43 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I would have never guessed that it works as well as it does.  I went out on Green Bay with a guide a couple of springs ago and he did exactly what I now do.  I was kicking myself for not thinking of it.  I dealt with many tangles trolling by myself and trying to drive the boat while netting fish.

4/2/18 @ 9:14 AM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

thanks - I will just have to play with it to get it tuned...but thanks for the guidance this is not a pipe dream. 

4/2/18 @ 8:21 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I do the same.  I run my bow mount on autopilot on a 3-4 setting and push the boat with my kicker when I need to go over 1.5 mph.  I fish alone 90% of the time so it's awesome.  And, it doesn't complain, whine or yak my ear off.

4/2/18 @ 7:57 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

I do something similar to that, I don't know if it's what you're trying to accomplish but I run my Kicker and my Minn Kota at the same time. All the boat steering is done by the Minn Kota I pilot works pretty slick. Otherwise you could try going to a different pitch prop on your big motor to slow you down. A trolling plate is supposed to work pretty well for lowering your low end speed.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.