LOGIN
Lake-Link

50 hp Honda water stream blocked - help

9/11/17 @ 8:09 AM
ORIGNAL POST
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

I have a 16' Lund w a 2002 Honda 4 stroke 50 hp motor.  It is a great running motor.  However, I had not been on the water for 6 weeks.  Yesterday I took it out and no water was coming out of the cooler.  I ran the motor very little and fished with the troller.  I imagine something is blocking the stream.  How do I clear it out?  Thanks,

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/19/17 @ 12:17 PM
Budman
User since 8/17/01

I also use weed trimmer line to clear mine. The culprit is usually a mud dauber wasp that laid its egg in the tube and packed it with mud.

9/15/17 @ 1:57 PM
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

yes, it is the black hose - we pushed a weed trimmer line up the hose and the blockage fell out - the motor is "peeing" beautifully - thanks!

9/13/17 @ 6:14 PM
Big_Shane
Big_Shane
User since 3/26/15

You know where the water comes out of your motor right? Well the hose connected to that is the one you want. It will be black. 

9/13/17 @ 4:55 PM
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

I took the cowling off the Honda motor this afternoon.  There are 3 hoses in the same spot.  2 are clear plastic/rubber lines and one is heavy-duty black rubber.  (See Photo)the clear hose on the right has definite particles in it that could block any flow.  I do not know which hose in the outlet hose and I do not know what the 3 hoses do.  request further help. Thanks

9/12/17 @ 11:23 AM
Tim Zwieg
User since 1/10/12

I have used bottom bouncer wires in the past to clear blockages.  However I always heard horror stories of a wire puncturing a hose etc, and bouncers being a bit short too.  I now carry a 2' piece of weed whacker plastic line, has cleared my blockages more than once, mostly in cold weather when the outlet has froze up.

9/11/17 @ 9:11 PM
fetch-um-up
User since 2/19/06

Any debris I have every found was dried weeds or bug stuff.  Don't think an air hose is necessary.  But might work without taking anything apart......  Can't say for sure, not knowing...Mine shoots a strong stream when it's clear, just dribbles when it's partially obstructed.... Kind of like me ??

9/11/17 @ 8:18 PM
rancocasrich
rancocasrich
User since 1/17/10

Thanks for the good advice.  I will check it out tomorrow.

If I have a small air compressor, would it be better to use it to blow out any debris?

9/11/17 @ 7:00 PM
fetch-um-up
User since 2/19/06

Remove the hood.  Find the plastic tube that goes from the hose fitting to the outlet port.  Pull it off and blow through it to make sure it's clear.  If it is, plug it, one at a time, into the fitting and then into the outlet port and blow it clear.  If that falls to allow a good strong stream of water to flow when it's running, I would replace the impeller... I bought a boat with a Honda 45 and the dude swore he had just replaced it impeller.  It ran for about 2 guys and then something jammed it and the warning buzzer didn't work for high temp alarm! Apparently he didn't clean out all the loose pieces of broken impeller!   You can probably guess the result.  $1300 for a local guy to rebuild the upper end and straighten the warped head!  "Caveat emptor!".......

9/11/17 @ 10:46 AM
NAV165
User since 5/23/05

I've also just used a piece of wire to ream out the discharge.  Sometimes it's just clogged with debris or sand.

9/11/17 @ 8:29 AM
stl ken
User since 2/22/10

My merc has a hose port with a plug that can be twisted out next to the stream outlet. The water pressure should be enough to blow out the blockage.  I Had several half inch lime green worms blocking mine , but spiders can block it too.  Otherwise, remove cowl and you should be able disconnect feeder hose, then you'll see where the blockage is.  Usually between the hose and discharge, which is easy to clean.  Sometimes it's in the hose. If neither,you might check the water pump. Good luck.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.