LOGIN
Lake-Link

1996 115 mariner MADNESS!! HELP

5/21/14 @ 12:07 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13
just purchased boat last month. First time I took it out water pump went out Tounge Out. It seemed to sputter a bit when you got on it but idled good and top end ran good. It had a quarter tank of gas at the time. The next time out I filled it up with premium and ran it for a while still had that mid range miss to it. Then I also noticed that once I sat and fished for a while It really doesn't like to start again. When it does try to start it seems like it isn't firing on all cylinders cause most of the time it shuts off right away. If anything I think that the mid-range miss issue is getting worse. It just runs rough but once it gets out of the sluggish issue it takes off. I took it to a guy and he put a new water pump in it and claims that its just bad gas but he didn't even hook up a tank with new gas in it to prove his theory which pisses me off cause I still have a boat that runs like crap. Would bad gas make the motor run bad all of the time???? All the boat places are backed up for weeks but I do have AJ's mobile marine coming on tuesday to rebuild carbs Speechless Just wondering if BAD gas or carbs is the issue any ideas?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 20 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
6/8/14 @ 6:30 PM
beasly
User since 6/12/03
Thanks for the help boat tech. I tried and still no spark so looks like I am taking it in now.

6/8/14 @ 6:29 AM
boattech
User since 12/22/04
Beasly first check your emergency stop lanyard. If it is on take your cowling off and look for your power pack. All your coils run to this. Disconnect the black wire with yellow stripe. Then try to start the engine. If no spark you could have a bad power pack or stater. I know there was an update to the stater. If you have a black stater under the fly wheel that is most likely you issue. It should be red. Hope this helps

6/7/14 @ 9:52 PM
beasly
User since 6/12/03
I have the same motor but a different problem. It started great early this season then died one morning while trying to put it back on the trailer after a weekend. I thought maybe I flooded it and just put it on the trailer and took it home. Ready to go this weekend and figured because of what happened I better put the muffs on and fire it up in the drive. Lots of cranking and nothing. I got no spark. Any ideas?

6/2/14 @ 7:03 AM
Wolfden
User since 4/7/09
Glad it worked out, if using for fishing you will like the 2/2.

6/1/14 @ 8:57 AM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Very cool TB, Summer is too short to have motor problems...

Enjoy your new boat!

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
5/31/14 @ 3:09 PM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13
So happy boat started fine for me after sitting for a while...don't know whether cards were the issue or fuel line priming bulb but I'm happy happy happy.. .now on to my trolling motor dilemma

5/28/14 @ 9:27 AM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13
Yup carbs are cleaned and rebuild. I will replace fuel line and bulb this weekend. Im hoping its the fuel line to the motor since its hardened almost like its plastic now not rubber and might be leaking air?

5/28/14 @ 5:50 AM
Wolfden
User since 4/7/09
Next time try just setting up the idle b/4 you start it instead of choking it after sitting for a little while.

did the guy come and clean your carbs? might want to check you gas line and bulb too.

5/27/14 @ 7:00 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07
Did your motor start up well initially?

If it did, does not sound like a carb problem. If the carb is dirty it will start poorly all the time.

Older two strokes can be finicky. You have to find the balance of when to choke, how much to choke, and how long to choke.

I had a 2005 Merc. XR6. Almost took the darn thing back after 1 month because after sitting for an hour (or even 30 minutes) it was difficult to start. As time went on, I found out the problem was me, not the motor. I learned all its quirks and could get her going quickly. I repowered in 2010 for fuel economy reasons, but she ran great. If you try choking it and it does not work, try not choking it. If you may have accidently flooded it, put the boat in neutral, and open the throttle up 100%. Once it starts, back it off quick.

Don't get too frustrated, you and your motor are still figuring each other out.

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
5/27/14 @ 8:03 AM
Trailblazer13
Trailblazer13
User since 3/3/13
Boat seems to run better with new gas in it now but still seems like its not 100%. The other 2 cylinder were kicking in around 2300. I sat for an hour and fished and again tried to start it this time choked it and nothing after 3 seconds so took off choke. Then I couldnt get it started after that so I limped in with the kicker. Also my trolling motor battery keeps dieing on me even put a new battery in. Hope guys shows up to day to look at motor Sweating Very frustrating

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 20 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.