Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

1977 Mercury 850 EL 85hp

10/28/17 @ 8:26 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Pimpshack81
User since 10/22/17

I had a post on here for my 1977 Mercury cutting off when clicked in gear.. found that there is a gas leak.. I noticed at first when pumping primer bulb it was coming out of the tiny tube in carb .. but I noticed today when I unhooked the gas line from the motor and tilted it up gas came out of said hook up on motor... am I fighting a losing battle with this motor or is the gas leak my culprit ? It runs great on muffs like I said in other post.. but like today I backed it in the water still on trailer and the only way I could keep it running was by having the high idol lever up ... any and all info is greatly  appreciated 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/27/17 @ 11:54 PM
jkruck13
User since 6/8/14

PLMLK    wow great advice, I have no problem with my 50 merc 1965, but always HIGH OCTAIN gas, will allways use SEA FOAM for now on, I do some times but now will always TKS

11/26/17 @ 6:05 PM
Pimpshack81
User since 10/22/17

Ok so I need help .. I'm trying to find the right rebuild kits for my carbs.. the only serial # I could find is 4595347... but when I research that # it comes up with nothing ... on the sides of my carbs it says Mercarb... that's all ... any help PLEASE???the picture with the data plate is my motor 

10/29/17 @ 5:56 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Carbs can be such a pain!

Gas coming out of your carbs when you pump the bulb means that the float valve is not seating. 

Your carbs need a complete rebuild my friend.  The first clue is that your motor is starving for gas under load.  The second clue is gas coming out of your carb when you pump the bulb. 

Your pumper bulb does nothing but supply your motor with gas so it can start.  Once the motor is running the fuel pump takes over. 

At any rate, when you pump the bulb the float in the carb should raise and seat the needle valve.  That is not happening!

Time to rebuild your carbs, and then a sync and link. 

Also, you could save yourself some grief and buy some new (or rebuilt) carbs on e-bay.  That may save you some grief if you don't know your way around a carb. 

Today's gas is just horrible for older carbs. Once you get it running, put Seafoam in every last tank - it works miracles and keeps things running nice and smooth. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
DISPLAYING 1 TO 4 OF 4 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.