LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Who collects the tax when you sell your boat?

7/23/20 @ 9:40 AM
INITIAL POST
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I am selling my old boat soon. It is a private sale. How do we deal with the sales tax? There is no mention of taxes on the 2001 title. I can see how to transfer ownership and put in a sale price but I am not sure if I need to collect it and send it in with the title transfer or if the new buyer deals with it. Thanks. Mrt.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
5/8/23 @ 5:28 AM
JaylahGlass
JaylahGlass
User since 11/24/22
I know my reply is a bit late, but I hope it helps. When you sell your boat, the responsibility of collecting and paying the sales tax may vary depending on the state you live in. In some states, it is the seller's responsibility to collect and remit the sales tax, while in others, the buyer is responsible for reporting and paying it. I’d recommend checking with your local Department of Motor Vehicles or tax office to find out the specific requirements in your state. Another thing to consider is creating pay stubs to confirm the amount of income you received from the sale. This can be especially helpful when it comes to correctly calculating the amount of tax you need to pay on the sale.

11/4/20 @ 2:57 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Not sure where you are from, but in MN, there is no sales tax on a used boat.  There is however on the trailer.  The trail tax gets collected when the new owner registers the trailer in his name.  For the boat there is a transfer fee, registration dollars are collected every 3 years through boat licensing. 

8/11/20 @ 7:52 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

It is the law, so why should one person cheat on taxes while the rest of us pay their way? We could debate the reasoning for all taxes and come up with a way around not paying them, but that is called tax evasion, isn’t it?

The DNR needs X amount of dollars to maintain lakes and facilities, so if they don’t get it from one pocket they will just get it from another.

I did learn one thing from this thread and that is, that you don’t have to pay taxes on the trailer. I am just curious why that is? If you buy a new car, you don’t exclude the tires when computing the sales tax.

8/11/20 @ 6:11 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11

Put as is on your sales receipt. No one can ever dispute what someone claims that they paid for it. Like someone said, why should they continuously collect a sales tax. Should be for original sale only. 

7/24/20 @ 8:40 AM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

The buyer pays sales tax to the state when he registers the boat. You should write the buyer a bill of sale when he buys it. That will leave you free and clear in a case where he doesn’t register it. If it is still in your name and he causes damage to a person or object, you could be held responsible.

7/24/20 @ 8:04 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Buyer pays the sales tax and title/ registration fee to the DNR upon purchase. The amount owed is based upon the purchase price that the SELLER writes on the title. I have never written the actual sale price, usually about half. I think it is BS they get to keep collecting sales tax over and over again on the same item. Also the value of the trailer is not included in the price you write on the title. 

7/23/20 @ 1:11 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

They are all correct, the buyer pays the tax when he registers the boat.

7/23/20 @ 11:15 AM
E-Tec 1
PRO MEMBER User since 6/27/10

Just make sure the new owner registers it also

7/23/20 @ 11:07 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Correct, the buyer pays the tax when they register the boat.  I think family is exempt.

7/23/20 @ 9:44 AM
BucketMouth123
BucketMouth123
User since 5/6/16

When I bought my boat through a private seller I had to pay the tax at the time I went to register it. I don't think you have to do anything with regards to paying tax on it.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE