Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Which one....

9/12/19 @ 7:24 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Coolhog
User since 10/7/18

Well, I sold my Alumacraft classic 165 tiller. Going to go to a dual console boat because Dad needs something to hold onto while under way. Looked at a competitor 175, Lund impact 1775 and going to check out a ranger aluminum 1782 Saturday...anyone running any of these?? Thoughts? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/30/19 @ 6:20 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Crawler.  

Yes.  Glass with dual console.  Very dry ride, as long as I don't get greedy against the wind.

I've found 4 footers in GB when the wind is out of the north.  Even 15 mph pushes the limits when it comes from the right direction.  We snuck out when I thought the wind was laying down a little bit.  I was wrong.

When we got to our icons, neither one of us stood on a deck.  We made a few casts off of the side from the bottom of the boat.

Love that about the 600 series, lots of boat built up around you.

Too bad to hear that the fit and finish of the Ranger metal boat wasn't good.

When they switched to the FS hull, I thought the fit and finish wasn't very good compared to the VS hull.  Looked cheaper and more plastic.

9/30/19 @ 9:15 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

here's a review of the Ranger... can get with Yamaha, Evinrude or Mercury

https://www.boattest.com/review/ranger-boats/3703_vs1782-wt

9/20/19 @ 6:23 PM
Coolhog
User since 10/7/18

Wish I could afford a ranger 600 series.......awesome!!

9/20/19 @ 5:52 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Vegas,

Not surprising you don't get wet in a Ranger 619 fiberglass boat.  Isn't that a dual console 19' fiberglass boat?  

I doubt there were 4 footers in Green Bay this weekend.  You only get 4 footers out when the wind is nearly 20 mph.  1.5-2 footers with a 10 mph wind.  

9/20/19 @ 4:30 PM
Coolhog
User since 10/7/18

So, I have looked at lund, Alumacraft, crestliner, ranger and smokercraft. The wife likes the back seats in the ranger the best but the one I looked at in Rhinelander had a pretty wavy transom on it, runs in the paint and a couple shabby looking welds. In the past I have had multiple rangers, all glass, and was always happy with the fit and finish. Stopped in minocqua to show her a Lund, carpet falling out of the storage compartments right on the showroom floor. Needless to say she wasn't impressed.... Leaning towards a competitor 175 with a 150 Yamaha right now... That or I'm going down to1 Jerry's in Beloit and ordering a Lund impact as he is the only dealer that is remotely close that will hang anything but a Mercury. Sorry won't ever own a Mercury! 

Thanks for your thoughts....

9/20/19 @ 3:05 PM
Capt. Eye Catcher
User since 2/5/15

12 pack,

My wife loves it keeps the wind off her and is very happy.  Also it added a glove box which is very dry.  I thought the walk through would get in the way while fishing it hasn't bothered me or my passengers yet.

Capt. eye catcher

9/20/19 @ 10:28 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Everyone gets wet in 1 and 2 footers?  Eh.  I don't.  And I shouldn't in a Ranger 619.

The key, though, isn't just the boat, it is how you drive in heavy waves and wind.

Wife and I had the Ranger in the Bay this past weekend.  Probably 4 footers out there where we wanted to fish.  We ran out there, dry, going about 18-21 mph with the nose high cutting the waves.  Didn't really fish, couldn't find bait, turned around, wind was coming across, again, 18-20 mph or so, riding the waves and cutting when I could.

Just gotta get used to how your boat handles and learn how to run in heavy wind.

9/19/19 @ 10:16 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

12pack,

Just answering with my own opinion....but I have a single console.  And everyone gets wet in 1-2 footers.  Not to mention fishing in the cold sucks driving out in a single console.  

9/19/19 @ 5:19 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Captain,

Why is the walk-through better for you than the single console?  Is it passenger comfort at speed?

I am simply curious about the benefit(s) you got from it...

9/19/19 @ 4:43 PM
Capt. Eye Catcher
User since 2/5/15

I purchased a ranger 1682 in March.  Love the boat...I bought a walk through but originally wanted single console  glad I have the walk through.  Trailer is awesome.  Mechanicals are good too..115 mercury pro XS on the back.  I like the hull as it is 96 inches across very easy to get around in.  Bow storage is very big and love the rod storage.  I have been in some pretty rough water on the Fox chain and preformed well

Last thing get max hp you will never regret it.

Good luck

Capt eye catcher

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 22 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.