Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Which one....

9/12/19 @ 7:24 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Coolhog
User since 10/7/18

Well, I sold my Alumacraft classic 165 tiller. Going to go to a dual console boat because Dad needs something to hold onto while under way. Looked at a competitor 175, Lund impact 1775 and going to check out a ranger aluminum 1782 Saturday...anyone running any of these?? Thoughts? 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
TODAY @ 10:28 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Everyone gets wet in 1 and 2 footers?  Eh.  I don't.  And I shouldn't in a Ranger 619.

The key, though, isn't just the boat, it is how you drive in heavy waves and wind.

Wife and I had the Ranger in the Bay this past weekend.  Probably 4 footers out there where we wanted to fish.  We ran out there, dry, going about 18-21 mph with the nose high cutting the waves.  Didn't really fish, couldn't find bait, turned around, wind was coming across, again, 18-20 mph or so, riding the waves and cutting when I could.

Just gotta get used to how your boat handles and learn how to run in heavy wind.

9/19/19 @ 10:16 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

12pack,

Just answering with my own opinion....but I have a single console.  And everyone gets wet in 1-2 footers.  Not to mention fishing in the cold sucks driving out in a single console.  

9/19/19 @ 5:19 PM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

Captain,

Why is the walk-through better for you than the single console?  Is it passenger comfort at speed?

I am simply curious about the benefit(s) you got from it...

9/19/19 @ 4:43 PM
Capt. Eye Catcher
User since 2/5/15

I purchased a ranger 1682 in March.  Love the boat...I bought a walk through but originally wanted single console  glad I have the walk through.  Trailer is awesome.  Mechanicals are good too..115 mercury pro XS on the back.  I like the hull as it is 96 inches across very easy to get around in.  Bow storage is very big and love the rod storage.  I have been in some pretty rough water on the Fox chain and preformed well

Last thing get max hp you will never regret it.

Good luck

Capt eye catcher

9/13/19 @ 12:30 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I own a Lund, but I'm totally unbiased.

Get a Lund.

9/13/19 @ 12:26 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

my oldest son bought a Lund 1775 Impact this spring, is a great family boat, and a great boat for fishing as well... he's been very happy

I've owned a Crestliner 1750 Fishhawk that I liked very much, big front deck, nice for fishing

I downsized to a Alumacraft 1650 Competitor, my 2nd Alumacraft... both were tiller and I was/am happy with Alumacraft

I agree with FishHound, you need to go to a dealer or show and see which one fits your style or requirements...

The Impact is a nice deep boat, so also kid friendly... he got the ski pkg and it's great for that too, I was impressed

GOOD LUCK!

9/13/19 @ 10:15 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

No dog in this fight, but a friend of mine was looking at a new Lund.  I told him to check out the Ranger 1880, since Lund can be a little pricey.  I think he's closing on that new Ranger right now.

It is very nice that you are thinking of your dad with a boat.  That's why I'd say to look at glass.  Better, smoother ride.  More stability.  And that 1880 may be in the price range as some of the 18 foot metal boats out there.

Not saying you need to purchase one, but it is worth checking out.

9/13/19 @ 10:03 AM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Yup, any that's why many of the designers and upper management left Ranger and started a new boat company. No changes to process and procedure after they were purchased by Bass Pro. LOL

......but that's a dandy nine month old YouTube advertisement, it must tell the whole story!

9/12/19 @ 8:22 PM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w3i5M2sn814

9/12/19 @ 8:14 PM
Drahts
User since 9/8/17

There’s already a similar thread on the boat forum.  I think the Lund Impact and the Ranger are very similar in quality.  Alumacraft a step down.  

Rangers and Trackers are completely different boats as they have always been, and the Rangers are built where they always have in Flippin, AK

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 16 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.