SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

When to replace prop

7/21/21 @ 1:05 PM
INITIAL POST
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

Boat is 6 years old now and my prop has a couple nicks in it.  It’s stainless, I’ve been careful but have ran ground 2 or 3 times over the years.  It has some nicks and dings but nothing serious.  This year I noticed I’ve lost about 2 mph at top end, used to be able to hit 40 but now top out at 38.  So question is at what point should I be considering fixing or replacing?  

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
7/26/21 @ 12:57 PM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

Can anyone recommend a place in SE WI that does work on stainless props?  I’m in Wash Co and was going to contact Cedar lake sales about were to take it

7/26/21 @ 11:37 AM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

Speed I alway have on the locator, decided I’m going to hold off till the end of the year and when I winterize it take the prop into have reworked 

7/24/21 @ 1:22 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

How are you measuring your speed? If it's not using GPS, you may have a restriction or crack in your water line or pitiot tube. A few minor nicks in your prop blades won't cost you 2 mph. Chunks missing, a rolled blade edge or bent blade might. But not a few idle speed nicks. Are you getting the same WOT RPMs? 

If it is a stainless prop, it is worth having it reworked. If it is aluminum, keep it as an emergency spare and buy a new one. Most prop places charge $50-80 to repair an aluminum prop and you won't have it back for 4-6 weeks. My time on the water is worth a few extra dollars. We have a shorter boating season in Wisconsin than most states. I'm not going to miss a third of it waiting for prop nicks to be repaired. I have 5 props for my boat...some are for different applications, but 3 of them are the same 13x21 pitch props so if I hit something and tweak a blade, I have spares on hand to get back on the water immediately.

7/22/21 @ 5:42 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

My 40 hp tiller has hit sand bars, muck, and logs while river fishing. The prop is aluminum i can tell in the feel vibration on the tiller handle when the prop gets dinged or bent and yes I lose 1-2 mph usually. I always buy a new one cause the prop make alot more vibration when it's damaged which can lead to more problems. Then I keep the least damaged prop for a backup. 

7/21/21 @ 2:16 PM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

Motor is 90 hp merc and 1675 Lund impact.  Only 3 times I hit anything was at idle speed and “found” a gravel bar and immediately went into neutral and trimmed up.  Don’t really think the speed loss is a motor issue, she still starts, idles and runs like when new, just feel the nicks on the prop aren’t making it as efficient as it was as new

7/21/21 @ 2:16 PM
Wjbk95
User since 4/12/21

I’ll try to post some pics of the prop tomorrow 

7/21/21 @ 1:22 PM
fishen_soon
User since 6/24/14

That's a personal thing. My props are almost like new, but I always have a spare prop. I don't know your boat, so hard to say, but at 40hp tops, I would purchase a new or like new aluminum prop then have your SS rebuilt.  Once done, put the SS back on and keep Aluminum as a hot spare. I buy my props used off Bass Boat Central or scream and fly.  Both cater to bigger motors but props for smaller motors do come up. Lots of guys buy a prop, find it is not right, then sell it for 30-50% off new with no dings. As a side note, 2 mph loss could be an engine thing and not the prop unless you just hit something.

Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE