SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

What to do

1/18/20 @ 7:54 PM
INITIAL POST
gspman81
PRO MEMBER User since 8/24/16

I have a 87 smoker craft pro angler 17' aluminum  w/classic 50 mercury (same year)

Boat hull is a little rough, could use new floor, transom.. not a huge deal.

Problem is the tilt n trim has failed.. solenoids click but trim motor doesn't spin.

The gas motor runs great, last check compression was in range of 125-130 on all 4 cylinders. I rebuilt the carbs last year so they are in great shape.

I called a nearby dealership just for grins to see what they would quote for repair/replace and they came back with $1200 bill.

I am sure thats prolly what the whole motor is worth or close to it.

what to do ?

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
1/28/20 @ 2:26 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

That seems expensive, but who knows.  Not sure where you are located, but if any where near Minneapolis, I'd call Supreme Marine to see what they can do for you. They are a Merc dealer and repair center, they don't even sell boats.  The do however run some fast race boats.  But will work on any motor from 2 1/2 HP all the way u to 400's.

1/18/20 @ 8:43 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

If I were you I would do a little more checking around....the trim motor quit working on my 2000 boat/Merc last year and it wasn't close to that..wish I could remember just what it did cost but 1200 seems to be more than twice what I paid to have it done...that wasn't aftermarket part either....boat dude said if I was going to put on aftermarket he wouldn't do it because I would be back there in a year yelling at him..

Displaying 1 to 3 of 3 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE