LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Ways to get into and out of boat at pier, when your up in age??????

3/19/20 @ 12:19 PM
INITIAL POST
gray fox
gray fox
PRO MEMBER User since 2/22/08

Have any Ideas.

Thanks for any help..

Displaying 16 to 26 of 26 posts
3/21/20 @ 7:20 PM
Fishoil
User since 6/18/01

I take someone with bad knees fishing occasionally and bring along a small stepstool. I set it up in the boat and she can get in and out easily from the dock. I also put in the casting deck in the back with a seat on it and she uses the stepstool to get up there as well when we're on the water.

3/21/20 @ 3:29 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Step in backwards as if you were to go  backwards, down a hill or a flight of stairs or whatever, that way you have the four point grip and your balance is more focused. facing forward is the worst thing to do and if you slip then you would be facing forward to use your arms and hands. even if you have to get down on your hands and knees off the dock its the easiest way . crawl off. IMO

3/21/20 @ 2:58 PM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
User since 4/20/07

River Chaser, you hit the nail on the head.  I'm 63 but have bad knees and a bad back and I have already fallen down getting into my Alumacraft. I love my boat but I soon may be trading it in on a pontoon.

3/21/20 @ 11:56 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

My father who is 90 enters the boat off the casting deck on the bow

3/21/20 @ 11:29 AM
gray fox
gray fox
PRO MEMBER User since 2/22/08

Thanks for your thoughts.

3/21/20 @ 7:11 AM
port1042
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/12

We have found when using the camp boats in Canada that having a boat with a bow casting deck makes getting in a lot easier than my boat at home. It's a much smaller step from the pier to the deck and a small step from the deck to the floor.

3/20/20 @ 9:05 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I am not there yet but I think there is a reason older folks like pontoon boats.

It depends on how agile and mobile you are. Even older folks differ in ability. Also depends if you trailer the boat to a lake or if you stay on one lake. 

3/20/20 @ 4:38 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

It is a Northland . It was sold originally as a package.  It is 17' with a trailer and a 25 Mercury  .  It is not a speed burner  , but holds 4 people comfortably.  I have had it on larger lakes like Pewaukee and Little St Germain . There are much smaller ones out there that would trailer even easier  , but I wanted greater ability in case of larger wave action  . I found it on Craigslist for 4 grand . 

Both my daughter and I have some mobility issues so for us it's great .

3/19/20 @ 11:09 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

What kind of boat do you have?

3/19/20 @ 8:54 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

I went with a small , trailer able pontoon   .

Displaying 16 to 26 of 26 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE