LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Ways to get into and out of boat at pier, when your up in age??????

3/19/20 @ 12:19 PM
INITIAL POST
gray fox
gray fox
PRO MEMBER User since 2/22/08

Have any Ideas.

Thanks for any help..

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts
4/9/20 @ 4:23 PM
gray fox
gray fox

Tuffy2 .....I was just re-reading your thoughts, and they all make a lot of sense.  I got myself a hydraulic casting post and seat.  This way I can reach on to it.  When I go with my friend, I will take that seat out and put the regular seat back.

4/8/20 @ 12:28 PM
gray fox
gray fox

Thanks again fellow Lake -Linkers for all your comments.  I will have to find piers in my neck of the woods with a post or rail..

4/1/20 @ 1:49 PM
gray fox
gray fox

Thanks for comments.  Problem is I can't kneel and sit down on pier.I know someone out there will come up with a good idea.

3/28/20 @ 3:02 PM
gray fox
gray fox

Thanks WSKIPH.  that sounds like a good way to do it also.  Getting a lot of good ideas.  These ideas keep us old folks fishing for many years.

EVERYONE STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!!!

3/27/20 @ 4:30 PM
wskiph
wskiph
User since 9/3/11

I'm 77 and am I  the category....Most launch I go to have a small area alongside the ramp.to beach the boat...after pushing boat off trailer with a rope attached..I pull boat back to me a slide it up.on the shore...my buddy stays and gets In when I retrn...I'm wearing sandals and climb in near stern ..

Push off with an  oar...wear shorts and sandals even in cooler weather..

Works fine for me...

15 ft with 9.9

3/27/20 @ 3:37 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I sent you a PM, but it didn’t work. In that PM I suggested getting a tall seat post to put in a base near the side you enter. You could hold onto that to stabilize yourself too. If you can’t do that, try stepping in on the front deck. That way you are cutting the distance to the floor in half.

I’m 76, so I am starting to deal with the same issues. I will continue to fish and golf until I absolutely cannot anymore.

I have a good boarding ladder on the back of my boat, plus I wear a top quality life jacket all the time I’m in the boat.

3/27/20 @ 11:39 AM
gray fox
gray fox

Thanks Tuffy,REALLY APPRECIATE your thoughts on how you go about things.

3/25/20 @ 2:15 PM
Tuffy2
User since 7/7/04

I only fish lakes that have a launching dock. I back the trailer in as close as possible to the dock. I then get out of my vehicle and unhook the strap and chain, tie my dock rope to a post on the dock, or a dock board. Then I back in until the boat floats free of the trailer, pull out and park trailer.

With  my boat secured to the dock, I step in on the top of the rod storage compartment, or the front raised deck. If the dock is too high I sit on the dock and climb in.

I reverse these steps if retrieving the boat. I ease my boat up to the winch post, get out of the boat and attach the hook and crank it up. If this is too difficult to do, I would suggest a two-speed winch.

One thing that really helps is to put all of your fishing equipment away before to get back to the dock.

One more suggestion is to put ratchet retractable transom straps on your trailer.

The main thing is, take your time and don’t let anyone rush you. Launch your boat and retrieve it every time in the same sequence.

My boat sits too high on my trailer and makes getting in and out on land difficult, so I ordered a custom trailer that will allow my boat to sit much lower in the trailer.

Good luck and stay safe.

3/24/20 @ 4:14 PM
gray fox
gray fox

What a nice story Rainbow Runner..Really enjoyed reading your thoughts.  Glad to hear there are others out there with the same problem.  WE WILL FISH TILL WE CAN'T!!!!

3/23/20 @ 2:37 PM
RainbowRunner
RainbowRunner
User since 5/31/02

Aye.....as a doddering crippled-up old fart I know the challenges of launching and getting in and out of the boat all too well. In fact, I really ought to sell my 17' MonArk "RainbowRunner" since I can't launch it by myself anymore anyway.

My smaller boat, a 14' Fisher, glides off the bunk trailer with a gentle shove. Getting it back on the trailer is more of a problem. But I hate it when well-intentioned younger folks attempt to "help" the doddering old twit (me) and actually make the process harder than it need be.

I typically only fish lakes with a decent dock where I can sit down on a boat cushion and get into the boat. Same deal for getting out. If it takes longer for me than for other folks, well, they'll "just have to wait longer". With any luck, we're all going to be old one of these days.

The good news is I wouldn't trade my 45 years of experience on the water for anything. I still have just a basic Eagle depthfinder and tacklebox full of stuff and a whole bunch of real nice rods and reels. One tends to "accumulate things" over the years. I catch all kinds of fish and it's not a competition out there for me anyway.

RR 

3/23/20 @ 12:51 PM
gray fox
gray fox

Thanks for all the comments.  I might be able to get out on the water yet.

3/22/20 @ 6:04 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I have a 16 1/2’ deep vee. It has an elevated front deck. When I launch I tie off to the piers support post which is 36-40” tall. I can then hold the post and step backwards onto the deck and then to the boat floor. I have a Shorelander roller trailer that allows me to unload and load alone with ease. If I happen to use a launch with a dock that has no posts I then get to my knees and enter the boat backwards. Bad knees, a compression fracture of a vertebra that fused to the one next to it left me with  significant arthritis in my back and a replaced shoulder have made fishing a bit of a challenge. 

3/22/20 @ 12:20 PM
gray fox
gray fox

Thanks Guys all good comments.  Keep them coming.  Looks like lot of older guys out there have some problems also.  WE ALL LOVE FISHING, TILL WE CAN"T ANYMORE.

3/22/20 @ 11:39 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Tuna. Do you have carpeted guides on your trailer? They really help.   CARPIO 

3/22/20 @ 5:50 AM
Tunaboy
User since 1/13/15

I’m old and getting in and out is getting harder. My bigger issue in getting my 17 foot Alumacraft on the trailer. I like to drive on but unless I get the trailer tight to the pier the step from the boat to the pier is a problem. Last season I bought some hip boots and I winch the boat on. Slower but safer for me.

Would like to find another old fisherman to come along to help.

Needs to be retired, knows how to fish, has own equipment. 

South Milwaukee area.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 26 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE