SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Two upgrades for older boat

11/28/20 @ 5:50 PM
INITIAL POST
apbtrain
User since 11/11/07

I'm looking for ideas/suggestions.  I bought a late 90s 16 ft Mirrocraft with a 25hp tiller Mariner motor in April 2019.  I'm capped at 25hp due to restrictions on the Boundary Waters lake I fish.  I would like to add power trim as it would make life easier dealing with all the rocks and boulders.  I'd also like to replace Minn Kota Power Drive 65 trolling motor.  Two problems with the trolling motor is I can't add Bluetooth due to mid 2000s model and more importantly, it's almost impossible to deploy.  I've seen comments about that being a "known issue" for these trolling motors.  Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
12/2/20 @ 7:40 AM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

On a boat that old I’d also run new trolling motor wire along with installing a circuit breaker.  Trolling motors are like growing teenagers and they want to be fed. If you choke them off and use wire that is too small the motor will try to draw as many amps as possible and things can start to overheat. My 1999 Lund came 10ga wire. When I replaced it with 6ga the trolling motor ran much better and I all but eliminated my voltage drop through the length of the run. With 10ga that motor was only getting around 18v. With the 6ga it gets just shy of 23 volts. 

12/1/20 @ 10:24 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

This probably isn't what you are looking for but I would get new seats.

12/1/20 @ 9:16 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

Terrova is  nice, but Ulterra's are to. Some folks have trouble with the Ulterra's some don't.  Personally my next one will be an Ulterra.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE