SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Trolling motor with spot lock

4/9/21 @ 11:57 AM
INITIAL POST
goju
User since 12/30/10

Looking to upgrade to a foot control/remote control rolling with spot lock.  Any suggestions?  Or possibly have one for sale?

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
4/22/21 @ 8:12 AM
Kayaker3
User since 9/9/13

Congrats goju!  

I have the same model as you.  Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.  I do quite a bit of trolling as well as using spot lock.  No more spinning in circles when I grab a rod and get preoccupied bringing in a  fish.  And cruise control is fantastic as well.

4/21/21 @ 12:51 PM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

I always use the foot pedal when I am fishing.  It allows me to steer/adjust speed and fish at the same time.  I only use the remote for spotlock or it I am "guiding", then I can move around on the boat freely with the remote and maintain control.  

4/21/21 @ 12:29 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

I have an Ulterra with all the features including Link.

Regarding the remote...hate it.  It's a touch screen and it is very sensitive.  And you cannot simply turn off the touch features that you don't use.  

Add to it, the remote is rechargeable.  Battery life is 6 hours or so.  I'd rather have the coin battery that actually lasts.  So, with that thing I needed to get a pocket charger to keep in the boat just to recharge the remote.

So...I started using the footpedal more.  Love it.  Much easier to work than the remote.

4/21/21 @ 7:44 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I have older model terrova I pilot with remote and foot pedal.  I think the spot lock does pretty well, not perfect but well.  If the new model is vastly improved , it may be in my future purchases.  

Regarding foot pedals.  While fishing one day my remotes battery went dead.  No replacement battery or tiny screwdriver to open back of remote.  I dug out the foot pedal and day saved.  Nice quick back up.  I would think bass and muskie guys would like the foot pedal almost better than remote.  Those fisherman when in casting mode like to keep both hands casting for bass or muskie.  The new foot pedals would free up their hands.  I believe the new foot pedal does all the functions of the remote.  The older pedal is missing a few functions.

Just a thought.

4/21/21 @ 1:13 AM
goju
User since 12/30/10

Than you to all of you for the advice.  I went with a Minnkota Powerdrive with Ipilot.  Does not come with foot pedal, but can be added as an option.  Probably won't get the foot pedal.  Everyone that has a motor with both foot and remote told me they don't use the foot control.  

It cost me $1300 plus tax and was delivered in 6 days.  

Again, thanks for the advice.

4/20/21 @ 8:32 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21

What is your budget and what is your fishing style would be the 1st 2 questions I'd ask. Lots of options out there. Minnkota Terrova, Ulterra and Ultrex, Lowrance ghost, Garmin Force, and Motorguide Tour Pro. Which one you would want would depend, each have the core features you want but certain ones will fit specific fishing styles better than others. Having other options out there these days is a good thing IMHO, it's not just a motoguide vs minnkota world anymore like it was for years. 

4/20/21 @ 5:19 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

If you buy used make sure it has the puck (heading sensor), the models prior to this do not have very good spot lock. Boat will drift around the area you spot locked on. Not sure but I am guessing they started using the puck around 2016.

4/20/21 @ 11:35 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

I 2nd the Minn kota terrova with I pilot. I just ordered and upgrade from my older 2013 terrova to a new 2021 I ordered it 2 days ago and I probably will not see it for 4 months. I also do not use the foot pedal, I ordered the new one without the foot pedal.

4/20/21 @ 6:49 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Minn kota terrova with I pilot. For me though I have never used the footpedal only the remote the features kind of  make the footpedal o outdated but yah spot lock is a game changer. I'd buy one now before the size you want is sold out.

Displaying 1 to 10 of 10 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE