MORE
Boats & Motors

Trolling motor on a pontoon boat

4/13/23 @ 5:07 PM
INITIAL POST
Veteran2
User since 9/8/20

Folks,

I use to use a 74# thrust on an 18 foot pontoon boat. That set up worked just fine.
I now have a 16 foot pontoon and I am wondering if a 55# thrust would be okay, or would I need something stronger. Space for batteries is a bit lacking on the 16 footers.
Any suggestions are welcome

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
6/9/23 @ 9:16 AM
Veteran2
User since 9/8/20
I found a 2005 Power Drive with 70# of thrust, for a good price. It was in good shape and everything worked.
Of course it uses a 24V battery set up, so by using some scrap treated plywood, I made a raised base for the 24 series batteries, under my console. 
This allowed me to secure the batteries and keep any water from pooling. After adding a smart, dual bank charger and an exterior plug, I have a nice functioning trolling set up.
The 70 pounds of thrust moves this pontoon very well, even in a river’s current. I am quite happy with it and I don’t think I would be as happy with a 55# thrust.

4/16/23 @ 5:54 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07
Pimply I agree on weight but also take in consideration the canopy.
4/14/23 @ 8:49 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
When sizing a trolling motor for a pontoon boat take into account the weight as was previously mentioned, add to that a pontoon will also catch more wind and wave action force than a boat of similar weight. Under sizing a trolling motor will leave you frustrated especially if you fish often in less than perfect conditions.
4/14/23 @ 2:44 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
"Boat weight is the most important consideration to take into account when choosing a trolling motor. A beginning rule of thumb is that you want a minimum of 2 lbs of thrust for every 100lbs. For example, if you have a 3000lb boat, fully loaded, then the calculation is (3000/100) * 2 = 60lbs of thrust."

So, a 55# trolling motor would work on up to a 2700 lb vessel.
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE