MORE
Boats & Motors

Trolling motor battery

3/20/23 @ 3:58 PM
INITIAL POST
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

I've got a Minn Kota Endura trolling motor, transom mount , 40 lbs thrust. Any recommendations for a battery. Brands, types, specifications? Use it on a small 14' boat with 10 hp motor.

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
3/21/23 @ 7:43 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20
Looks good to me. Thanks
3/21/23 @ 4:57 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
Fishrun, I have a Schumacher brand charger. I can select 6 or 12 volt, conventional or deep cycle battery and a 2 amp trickle, 15 amp charge or 100 amp engine start boost. It is fully automatic and once the battery is charged it drops to a maintenance setting to maintain a full charge. The photo is a newer version of the one I have and also says it is compatible for lithium batteries. 
Trolling motor battery photo by eyesman
3/21/23 @ 4:28 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20
Thanks eyesman.
I use the trolling motor sparingly to fine tune my spot before anchoring. The battery stays in the boat during the season stored in pole building. Doesn't stay in water. I trailer it to a few of our favorite lakes.

My charger is an old one. Just an on and off switch.
Any recommendations on a charger? I'd like to upgrade that too.
3/21/23 @ 9:54 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02
Your choice in battery will depend on how you plan to use your trolling motor. If you would use the trolling motor sparingly each time out you can get by with a lead acid group 24 or 27 battery. If you will use it abundantly for a day and run it hard look to a group 31 battery. The key to getting long life from a lead acid battery is charging it properly after each use and doing routine maintenance regularly, that is monitoring the water level in each cell and adding water as needed. Will the boat stay in the water all season long and to charge the battery you need to remove it and take it with you to charge can become a hassle but necessary to optimize battery life. If the boat is trailered home each use the charging is easier. In most cases an AGM battery will give you more run time and more recharge cycles with less maintenance for a small increase in cost over a lead acid battery. A lithium battery will give the most run time and the longest lifespan but at a significant increase in cost as well as needing a charger capable of charging a lithium battery. The other advantages of a lithium battery is its light weight and it’s ability to provide full power until it’s charge is depleted whereas a lead acid battery will start to weaken once you get to 50% charge and provide noticeably less high end power once you drop below 30% charge. An AGM battery doesn’t fall of as fast as a lead acid but doesn’t maintain full power as well as a lithium. As far as what brand is better it is as much a you get what you pay for thing as with anything you buy. As I mentioned before maintenance and keeping the battery charged will do more for the batteries life span than anything else. Investing in a good charger will also help out on battery longevity. 
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE