SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Transom Saver

8/1/22 @ 6:34 PM
INITIAL POST
musky2day
User since 8/25/11

Not really looking for advice, but I have a simple question. Do you use a transom saver? I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death.

Displaying 21 to 30 of 35 posts
8/2/22 @ 11:28 AM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

I have a 1991 Smokercraft 168 Magnum with a 40 hp Mariner. I have used a transom saver since day one and the transom shows no sign of wear. The boat dealer advised me to add a transom saver. 

8/2/22 @ 11:04 AM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

BA Etec has a very good trailering bracket though.I have the 75 same weight as your 90.I have had the boat on most of the western flowages over some very rough roads.Hell landing comes to mind going to Fort peck.

8/2/22 @ 10:38 AM
CLINCHKNOT
User since 10/9/03

I bought a used 14' Lund with 25 horse years ago.  It did not come with transom saver.

A few years later I had the motor in the shop.  Brought the whole rig in for motor repair.  The crew pointed out that my transom was getting damaged and I had to have it repaired (re-inforced).  They advised me to use a transom saver after that.   I still own the boat and use a transom saver.  No problems since then and that was 30 years ago.  

My motors have no power tilt/trim.  Just upgraded to 4 stroke last year and still with manual tilt/trim.  Not sure if that matters.  

8/2/22 @ 10:26 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I use an M-Y Wedge, rather than a transom saver.

There's many opinions on what's best, but this is what I prefer...60 Merc tiller.

8/2/22 @ 10:06 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

never used one until I upgraded to a 90

** yes to boat buckles!! man I like that upgrade a ton!

8/2/22 @ 8:57 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

90 horse etec motor no transom saver

All of my driving is on paved roads

If I was doing back road driving , gravel yes I would get a transom saver

8/2/22 @ 8:55 AM
Quackshot
Quackshot
User since 1/16/11

Some years back I ignored my friend's advice initially did not use a transom saver on my 18' glass bass boat. After 12 months and a ton of miles I started seeing small spider cracks in the transom. cause and effect maybe - can't say for sure but have used one ever since. 

8/2/22 @ 8:38 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

225 engine.  Yes.  

9.9 kicker.  No.

8/1/22 @ 10:16 PM
drummer boy
drummer boy
User since 3/14/08

No I do not 50 years hauling boats.If you are going to use one put a strap on the bow down to the trailer.

8/1/22 @ 9:11 PM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

I've owned 35, 50, 70 (2) and 90 HP Outboards on 16' aluminum deep-v boats and have ALWAYS used one, power trim and tilt or not. It takes 10 seconds to put on, supports the motor on rough roads, takes pressure off the hydraulics on your PT&T and prevents skeg and transom damage. I always make sure my winch strap is tightened completely up to the bow eye, so the boat does not move forward or back, then install the transom saver and tie downs (I use Boat Buckle ratcheting tie downs). It takes about 30 seconds to install both boat buckles and the transom saver. I drive a lot of back roads that are not always in the greatest shape. Even if I drove a lot of interstate, I'd still use one. $80 is cheap insurance...

Displaying 21 to 30 of 35 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE