SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Transom Saver

8/1/22 @ 6:34 PM
INITIAL POST
musky2day
User since 8/25/11

Not really looking for advice, but I have a simple question. Do you use a transom saver? I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 35 posts
8/8/22 @ 7:40 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Thanks Jerry I have a friend who's Welds so I'm going to have that bracket welded to the frame

After going back there and actually seeing how much room of frame that's exposed I might just be able to just drill a hole so the transit saver just falls right into without using the bracke

Transom Saver photo by BâssÂddîçt ©¸
8/8/22 @ 5:55 PM
Jerry K
User since 10/11/08

BassAddict, I too own a Shorelander Trailer and have the bracket on the bottom for the Transom Saver. To make a long story short while towing I lost my transom saver on the road, Somewhere. Went to a Bass Pro Shop and while having the replacement Transom Saver in hand I came across the Motormate Transom Saver which I purchased instead of the Transom Saver. The Motormate goes on easily and you can't lose it while trailering. The only concern I had with the Motormate is it connects to the engine and rests on your transom instead of the trailer frame itself which would take the brunt of vibration and bumps. Been using it for 18 years with NO PROBLEMS or weekness or problems with the transom. I use it with a 115 hp Evinrude on a Sylvan Boat. Just my two cents.

8/8/22 @ 2:17 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

I have a shorelander trailer it does not have a roller and it has similar to this picture lights running right there

So I need to get this bracket that goes under the trailer to mount a transom saver

The E-Tech has a built-in lock bracket that keeps it from falling down onto the ground even though that I am driving on pavement all the time now it would be nice to get another transom setup on this trailer

Transom-saver...this looks like it would fit my e-tech 90hp

Transom Saver photo by BâssÂddîçt ©¸
8/8/22 @ 8:31 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I saw one boat where the welds broke near the transom.  You could push down on the motor and watch them flex open and closed.  It was clearly a leverage thing where I'm sure a transom saver would have prevented it.

One of those things that is probably fine most of the time, but if it happens you are not going to be happy.  Heavier motors bouncing around, that all wrenches on it over and over again.

8/7/22 @ 9:13 PM
Julleye
User since 5/17/20

If you don’t use a transom saver you risk banging your skag on the crown of the road, driveway apron or similar.  Smaller boats might not encounter that issue, but if you have a larger boat that motor clearance can be fairly short.   Learned that lesson the hard way.  Fortunately, the old Lund survived that one.

8/7/22 @ 7:56 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

Does anyone know anyone who's had a problem with their transom from trailering

Only transom problems I know of first hand are rot problems

8/6/22 @ 5:53 PM
hntesox
hntesox
User since 1/11/02

Not to disagree with the “while underway” comment at all. I completely agree. However, triangulating the stress to the trailer while trailering makes sense to me.  It’s essentially cutting the “transom” stress. If you are on the lake using the motor 150 hrs a yr and trailering 25 hrs a year, the transome stress is 175 hrs a year. Right? Why not be nice to the transom and hydraulics and take away that 25 hrs? I’m just saying… I agree with its design is to handle that stress. However, why not limit the stress and not ask for issues? 

8/6/22 @ 3:14 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

Wouldn't a trimmed up motor position more of the motor over the boat instead of hanging off the back end. Seems to me the whole idea of transom supports is to save the hydraulics. There is way more torque on a transom when nailing the throttle and bouncing on waves all day than trailering down the road.

8/5/22 @ 7:34 PM
jwog666
jwog666
User since 7/30/10

I use a motor mate motor tote, it takes the strain off the trim hydraulics, my boat is an all welded aluminum boat, and I notice far less engine movement with the motor tote than I did with the motor to trailer "transom saver". Trailers flex, and all the flex is directed through the motor, the last boat I had spent 30 years with a transom saver and the trim cylinders were trashed. I searched all over before I decided on the motor tote, and could only find 1 person claiming that a tote wrecked his transom, but in his pics he had a jack plate installed, and the damage was clearly impact damage, 2000 miles so far with zero issues. Just my 2 cents.

8/3/22 @ 9:31 PM
eyesman
eyesman
User since 1/7/02

As has been stated,the wedge type device is designed to take stress off the tilt and trim cylinder and piston, that is it’s function. It doesn’t take any motor weight off the transom and put on the trailer frame. 

8/3/22 @ 9:10 PM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05

why would they make them if they weren't an effective way to prevent stress on your engine bracket and transom?

8/3/22 @ 5:15 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

When I bought boat trailer,dealer included it so I figured it's reccomend. Would be interested to know what an engineer at a boat designer had to say.

8/3/22 @ 1:26 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Yes I use one.

8/3/22 @ 10:48 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Be careful what you read on the internet.

8/3/22 @ 10:18 AM
Big Yonsson
Big Yonsson
PRO MEMBER User since 9/29/03

I have one,so I use it.

Can't hurt.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 35 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE