MORE
Boats & Motors

Trailer wheel bearing repacked

6/22/20 @ 2:49 PM
INITIAL POST
mofish
User since 3/7/02

Hello,

looking for any recommendations for places in the Milwaukee area that provides this service at a decent price.  Called a couple places, both auto and boat dealers, ranged from 250-300.00.  I do not want to do this myself.

thanks in advance.

Displaying 16 to 23 of 23 posts
6/23/20 @ 6:46 AM
Timmothy A
User since 5/17/09

I have bearing buddies and had a catastrophic failure once and another time the rear seal failed but it was caught early (somehow fishing line worked it's way in).  Maybe I'm not packing enough grease in there when I top off, but I am paranoid that I may put too much in.  That being said I get them repacked every 2 years or so.

6/22/20 @ 9:01 PM
Derelict2
User since 8/12/05

Badger trailer in West Bend does excellent work at excellent prices. Give them a call.

6/22/20 @ 8:47 PM
uplander
uplander
User since 10/6/09

I never had a problem with bearing buddies, I repak bearings on both trailers( boat and utility) every 3 years. and then top them off every so often with bearing buddies. I like them and will always have them.

6/22/20 @ 8:03 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

What Brent said.You should still pack the bearings every year,throw the bearing buddies away.

6/22/20 @ 7:23 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

You can get a false sense of security with bearing buddies...

Hubs with bearing buddies can and do still fail.

Over time wheel bearings go bad, whether you have bearing buddies on them or not…

Typically, you should completely remove, inspect, clean, and repack wheel bearings every year, and replace them every three years.

Also, whenever you are pulling a trailer, and stop for any reason (to get gas or food), take the time to put your hand around the bearing hub, if one is warmer than the other one, you have an issue. 

When bearings begin to fail, they have friction, which causes them to heat - it is somewhat of a rare occurrence that you have a catastrophic bearing failure, without it running warm for a while first.

At any rate, struggles garage in Waterford, would likely do your bearings for 150+ parts. It’s a single man shop, I found him to be very reasonable, I think he charges around 90 bucks an hour, and replacing Trailer bearings is not more than an hour problem...

6/22/20 @ 3:33 PM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

Bearing Buddies are more conveinent and cost effective.

6/22/20 @ 3:24 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Doesn't seem like a bad price if they are charging $125 an hour for labor, that seems to be the going rate now.

Displaying 16 to 23 of 23 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE