SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Trailer light issue

9/24/20 @ 7:03 AM
INITIAL POST
JKenny
User since 6/25/10

Just recently my trailer running lights have stopped working.  My brake lights and turn signals work fine, but I can not figure out what is wrong with those running lights.  I bought a new adapter for the truck and put a new plug on the trailer, still now running lights.  Any suggestions? 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts
10/1/20 @ 3:20 PM
bud kohn
User since 1/1/02

First You have to narrow down your problem to your  truck or to the trailer. A test light or Volt meter would also be helpful.  

Check for a fuse for your trailer running lights...on your truck.  Check light bulbs in the trailer. Check for Broken wires?  (the Brown wire handles running lights).  Are your lights on "ON" and not Daytime running lights?   I assume you have a ground wire because you have other light functions. However it still could be the ground (white wire) is loose corroded or broken. 

Good luck trailer wires are simple in operation but still a pain in the Butt!

9/30/20 @ 4:32 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Many vehicles have two fuses for the lights, one for power at all times and another for breaking and turn signal.  I've blown the one several times on two vehicles, a Dodge and a Jeep.  Not sure if it's common to the vehicle brand or if other vehicles have the same issue.

9/30/20 @ 4:12 PM
John Schultz
John Schultz
User since 3/14/14
On a previous boat of mine, I had a bad running light that would leak water in. It was the one on the very back center of the trailer that had three individual LEDs and was about a foot wide. The water would cross the connection between a couple of the LEDs inside the light and blow the fuse in the truck. Would only happen after I launched, and by the time I got home, there was no water inside the light. Took me quite a while to find that one. The fuse was in the main fuse box in the engine compartment. If that is blown, and you continue to blow it after replacing, I would look for a damaged running light.

9/28/20 @ 4:53 PM
Jeremy
User since 6/15/01

I would definitely think it was a fuse on the tow vehicle before a grounding issue as the brake lights are brighter and use more amps, if the grounding can handle that draw something else is wrong

9/27/20 @ 2:48 PM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

I had a truck that would blow a fuse occasionally and my running lights would go on my trailer. I spent a lot of time looking over that trailer wiring and the power connection before finding out I had a blown fuse on the tow vehicle. Like Ulbian said definitely hook it up to a different tow vehicle. 

9/24/20 @ 9:42 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03

Have you hooked it up to a different vehicle? You can drive yourself nuts chasing a trailer gremlin when the issue is with the tow vehicle. First thing that needs to be done is to isolate which thing is causing the problem. If it does the exact same thing on two different vehicles then you have isolated it to an issue with the trailer.

Work smarter, not harder. 

9/24/20 @ 5:08 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

It is likely the fuse, the bulbs, or the ground. 

If the fuse is good, and the bulbs are good, I would look for a grounding issue

9/24/20 @ 5:04 PM
prov
prov
User since 12/21/04

If you have a 4 or 7 connector check for power going to the brown wire out of the connector to trailer, if none-go to fuse box.Let us know results.Get a test light everyone should have one.

9/24/20 @ 1:39 PM
BadgerRedd
User since 3/11/07

Similar thing happened to me this past weekend, officer followed me into boat launch and informed me that only the brake lights & turn signals were working and that he had seen me numerous times this summer without any issue, fuse had blown on the truck. Hopefully that's all that needs to be checked. Good luck !!

9/24/20 @ 11:02 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

Test your pig tail or plug for power, fuse may have blown on tow vehicle. Then test for power on lights. Light bulb tester works great for this issue.

9/24/20 @ 10:11 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

On most trailers the brown wire is your running lights so follow that.

9/24/20 @ 9:44 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Check the grounds, but you can also try some electrical parts cleaner on the plugs. That solved part of my issues earlier this year. 

9/24/20 @ 8:57 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Check the grounds. Seems to be the problem for most trailer light problems.

9/24/20 @ 8:25 AM
izzy1
User since 6/15/06

I had the same issue. Fuse on my truck blew several times. I had a short in the taillight wire inside the trailer tube. Needed to rewire the trailer. Issue solved. Turned out to be mice chewing on wires.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE