SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Trailer Jack

6/4/23 @ 10:10 PM
INITIAL POST
mastertangler
User since 6/21/01

Looking for help. Have an alumacraft trophy 175.  The original jack with wheel, the wheel wore out. Replaced jack and after time the internal gear stripped. Dad is getting older and wanted electric jack soo we put one on and for up and down it’s fine, but it’s weak for rolling and the way it torques it’s not gonna take long to fail.  On the garage concrete any wheel rolls well. Get onto the blacktop and they don’t as well.  And yes, we make sure the jack is lowered for rolling the boat.  Suggestions??  Do the two wheel jacks work better?  Is there one with a wider wheel?

Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts
6/12/23 @ 12:49 PM
mastertangler
User since 6/21/01
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Definitely can look into the gears as mentioned.  Otherwise I have two options for a different jack to look at.
6/10/23 @ 11:51 PM
Mendota Jim
User since 7/1/02
Not commenting on your upgrade, but about the "stripped gears."  I used to work where there was a boat shop and because the hourly labor rate was high, one of the mechanics told me that they would just put a new jack assembly on but he said that if I wanted one, just open the top of the tube on an old one.  Usually the gears were just fine as they are held on to the shafts with roll pins that get sheared.  Very available at hardware stores for a fair price if you bring in the broken one, to get the right size.
6/10/23 @ 2:59 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16
I second the two wheel jack , I installed one on my ranger and made a huge difference rolling it out of  garage , way easier than single wheel by far
6/8/23 @ 11:13 AM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17
I have a SeaSense Mighty Wheel trailer jack on my boat, its one wheel 8" tall x 4" wide.  I got it cause I had to roll mine on gravel from time to time and it definitely made a huge difference.  
6/7/23 @ 6:48 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07
I have a two wheeled jack on the toon trailer, you can tell it definitely has better roll and lift.

Unsure if it will solve your issue, but safe to say that it will perform better than a single wheel Jack...
Displaying 1 to 6 of 6 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE