Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Trailer bearings

9/6/21 @ 8:26 PM
ORIGINAL POST
tuggs3
USER SINCE 12/12/08

Repacked my trailer bearings today. Needed new seals so ran up to the autoparts store. They had the correct diameter seal but they were about twice as deep. They fit and everything seems to be in place correctly. The seals are flush with the hub like the old seal, obviously go deeper in. First time doing this myself. Not a hard job just messy. Hardest thing seems to be finding the right parts. Anyway, they will have the same size seal in tmrw, just wondering if i even need it as these seem to serve the purpose.  Any thoughts?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/14/21 @ 2:44 PM
Jabberwalker
USER SINCE 4/21/04

Why put Bearing Buddies on if you are not going to pump grease in? The whole point is to create a positive pressure that keeps water and dirt from entering.

9/14/21 @ 2:26 PM
uplander
uplander
USER SINCE 10/6/09

oh boy, ok, dont pak your bearings. just throw them in and let the bearing buddies pak them for ya. I will wave to ya on the side of the road while I pass by.

9/13/21 @ 5:16 PM
wldh
MEMBER SINCE 3/14/08

First off you should only pack the bearings with grease  ,packing the bearings, and putting on brg. buddys and filling with grease is not necessary ,as hubs get hot, grease will expand and tend to push out of seal or push out of brg. buddys. Also if you use brg. buddys or caps, clean hub and caps put some lock tite on before installing. Brg. buddies have a tendency to fly off if your on a bumpy road, I have learned the hard way putting on around 2000 to 2500 miles a year .Been trailering boats for 50 plus years. Just my two cents.

9/13/21 @ 7:58 AM
uplander
uplander
USER SINCE 10/6/09

just remember to pak them bearings with grease. dont expect them bearing buddies to pak them bearings for you. I always pak the bearings then pump them full of grease

9/13/21 @ 7:24 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Boy when I was younger and my first boat had those 12-in tires

I must have had a lot of time on my hands

So many times sitting on the side of the road replacing tires

So much time sitting around repacking the hubs

All I can say is I've always been lucky and I've never had a bearing fail

And just in case always had a spear fully assembled pre-greased hub

Now I never buy what they call the affordable tire

And after I get done with a road trip while the hubs are hot I like to add the grease to the bearing buddies

9/12/21 @ 4:53 PM
ihookem
ihookem
USER SINCE 11/29/01

Two yrs. ago I went to Toms Trailers in Menomonee Falls, Wis. and got a whole assembly for $36. it is for a Karavan with 12" tires.  I used the old one for a spare.

9/12/21 @ 9:15 AM
tuggs3
USER SINCE 12/12/08

I also used the same bearing buddies i had on. Taking off and putting back on was easy. 

9/12/21 @ 9:10 AM
tuggs3
USER SINCE 12/12/08

Ordered the same kit. Fit my trailr perfect. Very simple to do, maybe 10 minutes a wheel. I did notice bearings made in china unlike the ones i had on which were about 8 years old. But what isnt these days. Process was so simple i'll plan on replacing these every other year. 

9/7/21 @ 3:23 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
Bearing Buddy removal

Can bearing buddies be added that's your question you bet you

Just tap it right on 

Added a link on showing you how to remove it

9/7/21 @ 11:53 AM
tuggs3
USER SINCE 12/12/08

Thanks guys. Nice kit there. Im going to order to keep in the truck. Nice to have it ready to go. Anyone know of that will fit my trailer? Its a 06 shorelandr, a 175 alumacraft sits on it. Per alumacraft it is a 1 3/8th tapered axle with a 1 1/16th outer bearing and 1 3/8th inner. Max load on vin plate says 3000lbs w brakes/2,500 w/out brakes (i dont have brakes). Axle weight 2995 lbs w/out brakes, 3740 with brakes. The bearings seem to be right size, appears its exactly what i need. Not too knowlwedgable about this as you can see. Thanks again. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 15 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.