SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Towing w/small 4 cylinder vehicle? MAX towing weight 1000

10/16/21 @ 2:46 AM
INITIAL POST
lekini
User since 10/16/21

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had success with towing a teardrop with a small car? I’m currently building a teardrop (aprox 6-700lbs) and my car is a 2016 Nissan Altima towing weight @1000 and tongue @100

Any pointers? Is it possible? Possible damages?

https://applinked.me/

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts
10/17/21 @ 12:55 PM
Fishrun
Fishrun
User since 6/8/20

Bought our first teardrop in 2010. (900#) Pulled it with a Toyota Corolla for six years before upgrading to a Subaru Outback. Bought a new teardrop this year (CampInn 550 Ultra weighing about 1100#). I've done a lot of research on towing and capacities. You have to add the weight of your trailer to all of your gear and the weight of the passengers in the vehicle. With our Corolla we were at the max (manual said 1500#). Our 4 cylinder 2.5 liter Outback has a capacity of 2700#. I would guess we are at 1700# loaded and would not consider towing more weight than that.

The Outback has a bigger engine and a longer wheelbase (it's considered a wagon). There is a lot of debate out there about specific vehicles and what you should and shouldn't use to tow. Won't get into that. A lot has to do with how you drive.

We've taken both trailers out to Utah and back safely. On interstates I cruise at about 67 to 69 which puts you in line with most semis. Uphill and downhill I watch the tach not the speedometer keeping it under 3000 rpm. Stay in the right lane as much as possible avoiding sudden lane changes. Also try to avoid quick stops and starts.

If you're only taking short trips you might be okay but I would consider upgrading your vehicle if long trips are in the future. I've got about 30k miles experience towing a tear drop if that matters. Owner Craig at CampInn has been pulling his teardrops with Outbacks for years.

10/17/21 @ 8:08 AM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

Just go for it and don't worry about it. 

You see it all the time.

10/16/21 @ 7:14 PM
CMunyon
User since 5/12/16

I would'nt but thats me.I would feel safer with a bit more vehicle.

I'm sure when you tow it you will have it and the car packed with other stuff and over the rating.

10/16/21 @ 7:25 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE