MENU
Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Thinking of Repowering with a new 60HP Honda.

10/15/21 @ 12:35 PM
ORIGINAL POST
Boogie
Boogie
MEMBER SINCE 1/25/02

Any thoughts or recommendations?  Based on what?

Thannks in advance.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

10/19/21 @ 5:03 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER SINCE 12/18/07

Hondas are a decent motor, no doubt. They are typically a bit heavier though, and as mentioned, have a fairly skinny dealer network.

Excellent motors though.  

I’ve been an e-etc guy for 12 years, but my next motor will be a Yamaha.  I have a 15 hp Yamaha on my small fishing boat, and a 50 hp Yamaha on my pontoon, both excellent motors. 

E-Tec still running strong on my glass fish / ski. 

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
10/19/21 @ 12:30 PM
Highthrust
MEMBER SINCE 1/21/13

Forgot to mention. I would recommend going to the high thrust model which ever manufacture you buy. It will give you a much better choice of props. Propping the 4 stroke motors correctly is critical for acceptable acceleration.  

10/19/21 @ 12:14 PM
Highthrust
MEMBER SINCE 1/21/13

I would not hesitate to get the 60 Honda. None of the motors in that range get much attention or updates. They've all gone to fuel injection so cold starting and warm up are not an issue. I've run all of them and the Honda is the best running of the bunch. The Mercs are made in China as a joint venture with Tohatsu and are not as refined as the others. 

As far as service - Suzuki may have more dealers, but their corporate service and parts support is terrible.  Yamaha is a good engine and has a good dealer and corporate service network. The Yamaha ran well - I didn't think it had the acceleration of the Honda.

You have a good Honda dealer at Racine Riverside. 

10/16/21 @ 4:31 PM
Dave5555
USER SINCE 5/13/14

I agree with most comments, yammy great, suzuki great, honda seems to not be very active, Merc's good but not on same level.  The one thing not mentioned but may be important is Yamaha is I believe the most expensive - So consider Suzuki. I think price wise you'll be surprised at how much less than Yamaha and also a great engine. Everyone I know that has a suzuki loves it.

10/16/21 @ 12:03 PM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
USER SINCE 4/20/07

When I bought my boat 13 years ago I was strictly a Merc guy, for 35 years.  The dealer talked me into a Yamaha 60 4-Stroke and I absolutely Love It!  Super quiet, sips gas and I haven't had any issues with it.  When I was fishing Southern WI every weekend I noticed that even the new Mercs just sound like they are hard and loud starting just as the old ones.  It also seemed that I saw more breakdowns with Honda's on the back. As said below, the dealer network seams smaller with Honda as well.   My next boat will have a Yamaha on the back.

10/16/21 @ 7:34 AM
.Long Barrels
USER SINCE 12/9/14

You can't go wrong with a Honda.  I don't own one, but know several that do.  If you have a dealer near you,  do it.  Yamaha is also one you may want to look at .  Suzuki is gaining market share with Etec done.  Lot's of boats down south run Suzuki and Yamaha,  continue do some more research elsewhere and i'm sure you'll find a answer that is right for you.

10/15/21 @ 8:04 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
USER SINCE 1/9/21

Pretty much what has been said, small dealer support and dont think Honda really puts alot of time and effort into advancing the tech on their outboards as the other manufacturers do. That being said, my old college roommate has a 60 hp Honda on the boat at his cabin. He has owned it awhile, and I've fished out of that boat with him a few times a season for many years. The motor has been trouble free aside from routine maintenance. IMO though I would go Yammy or Merc simply for dealer network.

10/15/21 @ 6:53 PM
haf2fsh
MEMBER SINCE 6/23/01

I'm a Mercury guy, got my first 60 in 2003, ran it many hours basically trouble free, last year I traded it for a new one, which is running perfectly. That said have two friends with Yammies, which I think are a tick better than my Merc.  But I bought both of mine because of the dealer and for the service, if needed. Don't seem to see as many Honda's as years ago, not sure the reason.  I don't know anyone who runs one !!  Good luck with your choice.......... 

, if needed. 

10/15/21 @ 3:30 PM
vegas492
vegas492
USER SINCE 5/21/03

I've owned a Mariner, 4 Mercury's and 1 Yamaha.

That Yamaha was the best engine I've ever owned.  Super quiet.  Reliable.  Hardly used gas.

My Mercs have been fine, but they aren't in the same league as the Yamaha.

10/15/21 @ 2:09 PM
Tuffy2
USER SINCE 7/7/04

I’m not sure where you live, but Honda has a small network of dealers. I owned both Honda and Yamaha and I would go with Yamaha first. Yamaha is a quieter running engine in my opinion.

I see you are from Racine, I would go with a good Yamaha dealer outside of town.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 13 POSTS
Advertise here
Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos feature a Ceymar micro baitfeeder, a full grip non-reel seat handle for customized placement, and a 1-pcs 24-ton carbon rod blank construction. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: OKUMA FISHING TACKLE - Okuma Cold Water Deadstick Ice Combos
The head, body and goose-feather accents of each jig are entirely purple and enhanced with Ultra Glow technology, which holds a charge for as many as 15 minutes. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: VMC - NEW Glow Purple Tungsten Fly and Bullfly Jigs
Whether you’re looking to plan your next fishing trip, or just make the most of your time on the water, the Humminbird FishSmart app can help. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird FishSmart App
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.