LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Thinking of Repowering with a new 60HP Honda.

10/15/21 @ 1:35 PM
INITIAL POST
Boogie
Boogie
PRO MEMBER User since 1/25/02

Any thoughts or recommendations?  Based on what?

Thannks in advance.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts
12/22/22 @ 10:27 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

Honda's are work horses.  you'll love it.  I own a yamaha everything UTV, ATV, outboard, kicker.  I know several with Honda outboards and they have zero issues ever.  Great choice.  I wouldn't hesitate with suzuki, kawasaki, honda, yamaha in anything.  

12/21/22 @ 6:47 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

Glad it worked out Boogie. I love Yamaha’s and never owned a Honda. I’ve had both Yamaha’s and Harleys for bikes. Yamaha’s are bullet proof as Honda’s. I think the same would go for Honda’s. I think you will keep loving it! 

12/21/22 @ 12:18 PM
Boogie
Boogie
PRO MEMBER User since 1/25/02

My new Honda is great!  My boat really flies with it on the back. Nice quiet idle and troll compared to my 2-stroke Evenrude. Can’t wait for spring!

3/8/22 @ 5:46 PM
mnvikings
User since 10/6/14

I just ordered a new 115 Honda . It will be my 4th Honda. Of the 3 that I have owned since 2002, not one time have I had to take them in for problems . That means a lot to me. My favorite was a Honda 50. Really sweet motor. I'm pretty sure you will like the 60.

3/7/22 @ 9:11 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

I'm pretty sure the weight differences nowadays is very minimal. I’m looking for a new 40 hp for my duck boat and pretty sure the Yamaha and Honda are both around 215 lbs. I’ve owned 5 mercs and an Evinrude and the only things I’ve ever fixed is a water pump impeller and rectifier. I’m open to all brands but hear nothing but good things about Yamaha.

3/7/22 @ 8:36 PM
Snake1
Snake1
PRO MEMBER User since 1/22/21

I love Yamaha. Never had an issue with the one on Pontoon boat. You just have too barely turn key and let go. Motor is running, and you have to listen to make sure it’s running. I didn’t know Honda’s were heavier. I wouldn’t like that. 

3/7/22 @ 3:04 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

I had a carbureted 90hp Honda on my old boat,  and still have a 50hp Honda on the pontoon.  Both are solid motors and I would not hesitate.   The Honda's tend to run a little heavier weight wise.  I have Yamaha's on my fishing boat now and they have been solid.

If I ever had to buy new or repower it would be with a Yamaha, solid, with better dealer network, parts and support.  If you have a Honda dealers close by it would probably be a wash.  I would not thumb my nose at a Honda, but if given the choice I would take Yamaha.

Can't go wrong with a 60HP Honda.

good luck

3/6/22 @ 10:11 PM
robofisher
User since 5/24/21

Tohatsu is not made in China, they are made in Japan and are excellent motors. In fact they are the largest maker of outboards in the world (Just not well known in US). And yes they make the motors for Mercury under 30HP (at least the power head). If you don't believe me Google it.

With that said I have a 2016 20HP Tohatsu on my river boat, never had a problem in 5 years now.

2011 50HP Yamaha on lake boat since 2011, No problems either.

10/19/21 @ 6:03 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Hondas are a decent motor, no doubt. They are typically a bit heavier though, and as mentioned, have a fairly skinny dealer network.

Excellent motors though.  

I’ve been an e-etc guy for 12 years, but my next motor will be a Yamaha.  I have a 15 hp Yamaha on my small fishing boat, and a 50 hp Yamaha on my pontoon, both excellent motors. 

E-Tec still running strong on my glass fish / ski. 

10/19/21 @ 1:30 PM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

Forgot to mention. I would recommend going to the high thrust model which ever manufacture you buy. It will give you a much better choice of props. Propping the 4 stroke motors correctly is critical for acceptable acceleration.  

10/19/21 @ 1:14 PM
Highthrust
PRO MEMBER User since 1/21/13

I would not hesitate to get the 60 Honda. None of the motors in that range get much attention or updates. They've all gone to fuel injection so cold starting and warm up are not an issue. I've run all of them and the Honda is the best running of the bunch. The Mercs are made in China as a joint venture with Tohatsu and are not as refined as the others. 

As far as service - Suzuki may have more dealers, but their corporate service and parts support is terrible.  Yamaha is a good engine and has a good dealer and corporate service network. The Yamaha ran well - I didn't think it had the acceleration of the Honda.

You have a good Honda dealer at Racine Riverside. 

10/16/21 @ 5:31 PM
Dave5555
User since 5/13/14

I agree with most comments, yammy great, suzuki great, honda seems to not be very active, Merc's good but not on same level.  The one thing not mentioned but may be important is Yamaha is I believe the most expensive - So consider Suzuki. I think price wise you'll be surprised at how much less than Yamaha and also a great engine. Everyone I know that has a suzuki loves it.

10/16/21 @ 1:03 PM
MuskyManiac5
MuskyManiac5
User since 4/20/07

When I bought my boat 13 years ago I was strictly a Merc guy, for 35 years.  The dealer talked me into a Yamaha 60 4-Stroke and I absolutely Love It!  Super quiet, sips gas and I haven't had any issues with it.  When I was fishing Southern WI every weekend I noticed that even the new Mercs just sound like they are hard and loud starting just as the old ones.  It also seemed that I saw more breakdowns with Honda's on the back. As said below, the dealer network seams smaller with Honda as well.   My next boat will have a Yamaha on the back.

10/16/21 @ 8:34 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

You can't go wrong with a Honda.  I don't own one, but know several that do.  If you have a dealer near you,  do it.  Yamaha is also one you may want to look at .  Suzuki is gaining market share with Etec done.  Lot's of boats down south run Suzuki and Yamaha,  continue do some more research elsewhere and i'm sure you'll find a answer that is right for you.

10/15/21 @ 9:04 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21

Pretty much what has been said, small dealer support and dont think Honda really puts alot of time and effort into advancing the tech on their outboards as the other manufacturers do. That being said, my old college roommate has a 60 hp Honda on the boat at his cabin. He has owned it awhile, and I've fished out of that boat with him a few times a season for many years. The motor has been trouble free aside from routine maintenance. IMO though I would go Yammy or Merc simply for dealer network.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 21 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE