I have  a 2015 Subaru Forester, the manual says I can tow 1000# unbraked, 1500# braked.

I am looking at 2 boats, 1 is 1100# (no problem towing), the other is 1800#.

I have spoken with 2 Subaru dealerships, 1 says that "off the record" I should be okay to tow the heavier boat, possibly put brakes on the trailer, which would be okay with me. The other is going right by the manual, of course he's going to say don't do it.

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with how much a vehicle an REALLISTICALLY tow, and that is the key word here, realistically. !!!

You don't have to preach to me on the mechanical drawbacks of parts wearing out quicker, we all know that.

Any input you could give me would be appreciated.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the boat yet, I have a little time to mull this over.

I don't know if the manufacturers give a lower rating just to CYA , as they say, because I have towed items behind different vehicles in my 50 years of driving that I know have exceeded the towing capacity of the vehicle. most of my trips are probably well less than 100 miles. I may make one to three trips a year where I need to drive maybe 150 to 300 miles.

Thanks is advance guys, I know someone here has had to have some experience in this matter.