SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Starting the search for the next Boat

6/4/20 @ 9:03 AM
INITIAL POST
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I currently have 1895 Yarcraft Storm. Love the boat but it is 20 years old. I can afford a new  one and may go that route but I also am looking at used rigs. I am looking at the 19 to 20 foot range. I want a deep and larger cockpit VS wasted deck space up front. I just don't cast much. Ranger 619's  don't seem to have much space back there. When you get to the larger ones the cost and size are more than I need. Warriors seem to fit the bill but it's hard to justify the cost. They are real  expensive. Anybody have the glass Lunds or Skeeters? I have scoured the used boat market using Walleye Central and Boats 1 and not found anything that trips my trigger. Any ideas and experiences? Thanks. Mrt. 

Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts
6/16/20 @ 7:30 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Friend has a Boston Whaler. Nice rig but doesn’t do what I need. Thanks for the suggestion. Mrt

6/14/20 @ 8:36 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

Great call Cold Front , I have been dealing with Cedar Lake Sales for over 20 years and recently bought my new to me Ranger from them. Always have taken care of me and would recommend they in a heartbeat.  Good luck with new rig 

6/14/20 @ 8:14 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

I looked pretty hard for a used boat with the cockpit room that I needed. I just couldn't find the right rig. Used Warriors are pretty scarce and the bigger used Yarcrafts were about what I paid for a new 186. There were a few Ranger 620's and 619's but they are not what I wanted. Used may be the way to go if you can find what you want but I could'nt.  Mrt

6/13/20 @ 9:24 PM
bevans
User since 7/10/12

I too have an Yarcraft 1895 BT Storm. It's a 2002 and in great shape and have been toying with the idea of a newer (not new) boat. I watch this thread intrigued with the ideas thrown about and learn from some. Thanks everyone for the ideas. I too want to stay in a glass boat having previously owned aluminum.  

6/13/20 @ 3:21 PM
anneyealator
User since 6/24/12

i always had the same want...you need all that bow space in 3 foot waves like you need a second ANAL port...lol''''      you are correct near impossible to beat what warrior offers..i have looked and looked..but i stay with my 186 triton fish hunter..it has much cockpit space as any..and warrior The 70k price is hard to justify at an advanced aged and not being a tournament guy...(besides the kids would shoot me if i waste 75k  of their inheritance...lol)... i have had about them all..all the alumes ..i prefer the princecrafts..maybe a starcraft...glass..i wish i could convince myself to shoot the money for a warrior..I can't..and vexus(indeed max disappointment)..looked long and hard at yarcraft 2095 backtroller with wheel helm(wife vetoed that..)

6/13/20 @ 12:45 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Cedar lakes guys are a good bunch over there. 

6/13/20 @ 7:57 AM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Logged out for some reason. Yes ,the Storm is a wheel boat. I put six lines out and go driving around a lot, so the DC boats are how I roll. Mrt. 

6/12/20 @ 1:27 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12

I assume since you are looking at wheel boats, that is what your Storm is.  I had a 2001 Storm Tiller, loved that boat.

6/12/20 @ 1:11 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Pulled the trigger on a new 186 today. The guys at Cedar Lake Sales were very helpful. Thanks all for your input . 6 to 8 weeks until “go time”. Mrt.

6/9/20 @ 9:40 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Saw a Yarcraft 186 at the landing. That may work!! Tell me more about the ride.  How would it do with a two foot chop like we have on Bago? Storm is ok but not great. Bow gets up and then bottom falls out and bam. Need to be on throttle if we get planed up, ready to back off and come down slower. I am hoping newer hull design would help. Mrt

6/6/20 @ 8:51 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Sounds like I need to go to larger boat to get a better ride and have the cockpit room. By the time you accommodate the tunnel rod storage I would like , there isn’t a lot of boat left for a large cockpit in a boat less than almost 20 feet. Mrt

6/6/20 @ 4:50 AM
1pass
User since 6/27/17

I have a Yarcraft 186. Great boat lots of room. Can handle the biggest of waves,fast, stable. But not nearly as good of riding as your running now.But I trust it to get me to shore in any weather. My friend has a Triton 186 his is better riding in a short chop but anything bigger rather be in my Yarcraft. Also have a friend with a Ranger 619 same as Triton. The Ranger is a waterwagon in the big stuff waves come over bow .

6/5/20 @ 3:21 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

New Ranger 1880 

6/5/20 @ 9:07 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

So...if you didn't like the Ranger 619 because there wasn't enough room in back, check out the Ranger Angler series.  1880 or 2080.

My buddy has one and love it.  I've fished in it many times and it is a great boat.  Tons of space behind the front deck, jump seats and it is a great trolling boat.

Only real downside is that there isn't a lot of deck in the back to work with.  And there isn't a factory deck extension like there is for the Ranger 619.  But, it isn't too hard to make one yourself.

The 1880 comes with a single axle trailer, which is much easier to move around than the 619.

6/5/20 @ 8:22 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

none will be as fast as those Storms were Lund glass you have removable storage in back for lots of room

Displaying 1 to 15 of 25 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE