SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Spark plugs

11/9/19 @ 1:34 AM
INITIAL POST
Jayp380
User since 11/9/19

How do I know when it's time to change my spark plugs....does the motor act any different?

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts
11/12/19 @ 9:54 PM
mail man
mail man
PRO MEMBER User since 3/14/13

Pull plugs- check for oil deposit buildup-heat plug TIP with hand torch & clean off with wire brush & re-gap plugs if needed. Put back in outboard { lawnmower,snowblower,etc.}   Only need to buy new plugs when TIP of plug starts to wear down. Why waste money buying new plugs all the time.

11/11/19 @ 12:39 PM
bassaddic
bassaddic
User since 8/20/07

I change mine every year. Cheap insurance.

11/10/19 @ 3:13 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

No test, but like 12pack, carried new plugs and wrench in toolkit...

Inspecting the plugs when winterizing was when plug changes happened,  never kept track of time between changes 

Otherwise,  owners manual might give hours or time recommendation 

11/9/19 @ 7:43 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Depends, are u talking EFI or carbureted engine?  Every other year for carb engines longer on fuel injected engines. More or less depending on the amount of use. If u only use the motor twice a year u won’t need to change the plugs as often. If u do a lot of trolling at low rpm’s plugs may get fouled especially on a 2-stroke, you’ll notice a difference then. If u troll with a motor it’s a good practice to run that motor wide open for a bit once ur done trolling that will help keep the plugs clean. 

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE