Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Spark plugs

11/9/19 @ 12:34 AM
ORIGNAL POST
Jayp380
User since 11/9/19

How do I know when it's time to change my spark plugs....does the motor act any different?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
11/12/19 @ 8:54 PM
mail man
MEMBER since 3/14/13

Pull plugs- check for oil deposit buildup-heat plug TIP with hand torch & clean off with wire brush & re-gap plugs if needed. Put back in outboard { lawnmower,snowblower,etc.}   Only need to buy new plugs when TIP of plug starts to wear down. Why waste money buying new plugs all the time.

11/11/19 @ 11:39 AM
bassaddic
bassaddic
User since 8/20/07

I change mine every year. Cheap insurance.

11/10/19 @ 3:20 PM
BigMusky12
BigMusky12
User since 12/22/04

My outboard actually would not open up all the way.    By pushing choke, it would not change, so I knew it was electrical.  I thought it was likely coil failure, but was just a plug

11/10/19 @ 2:13 PM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

No test, but like 12pack, carried new plugs and wrench in toolkit...

Inspecting the plugs when winterizing was when plug changes happened,  never kept track of time between changes 

Otherwise,  owners manual might give hours or time recommendation 

11/10/19 @ 11:30 AM
12packabs
12packabs
User since 12/19/06

JP,

I did a little test with my old 40hp 2-stroke Merc a few years back.  I bought a set of new plugs and carried them with me in the boat, and I went 7 years on one set of plugs before I changed them, with no loss of spark or running efficiency.  I troll a lot at idle rpm as well.  I ended up changing them even though all of the old plugs were still sparking just fine.  I lost patience with the test.

A fouled plug will cause a rough running engine when the cylinder doesn't fire properly.  Bad idling, heavy vibration (or an odd vibration from the fouled cylinder not firing).

I suppose a 2-stroke with oil-laden gasoline is likely to foul a plug faster...but my old 40 did just fine for many years...

11/9/19 @ 6:43 AM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Depends, are u talking EFI or carbureted engine?  Every other year for carb engines longer on fuel injected engines. More or less depending on the amount of use. If u only use the motor twice a year u won’t need to change the plugs as often. If u do a lot of trolling at low rpm’s plugs may get fouled especially on a 2-stroke, you’ll notice a difference then. If u troll with a motor it’s a good practice to run that motor wide open for a bit once ur done trolling that will help keep the plugs clean. 

DISPLAYING 1 TO 7 OF 7 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.