SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Spark Plug Socket Size for New Mercury

10/12/20 @ 6:10 PM
INITIAL POST
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

After searching a variety of sites including You Tube, I am still looking to find out what size spark plug socket size I need I need for my 2020 Mercury 50HP 4 stroke. I think its 5/8", but I can't get a definitive read anywhere.

Maybe some of you wrenches may be able to help me.

Thanks in advance, 

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
11/1/20 @ 6:42 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

my 2017 merc specifially says remove the plugs and spray engine storage seal into cylinders then rotate the flywheel.

I have only owned 2 boat engines in my life but they sure dont seem to engineer them as owner friendly. Removing all the plugs and removing oil filter without spilling oil on shouldnt be an acrobatic feat . 

11/1/20 @ 1:44 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

No fogging of four strokes here. Almost all the threads I've read and mechanics I've talked to said change oil, pull kill switch and crank it over for 10 seconds so everything gets coated with fresh clean oil and you're done.

11/1/20 @ 1:40 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

I've always fogged my 2002 50 HP Mercury 2-stroke, bought a new boat with a 2020 90 HP 4-stroke this year and nothing is in the manual that says to fog the cylinders for winterizing. But I do agree it is probably not going to hurt anything. Took my plugs out just to look, would be very hard to fog the lower cylinder as it sits down in the housing.

11/1/20 @ 1:18 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

It’s a bit different than fogging a 2-stroke, as most of the moving parts in a 4-stroke are sitting in a crankcase full of oil. 

The above said, many 4-strokes have an oil fogging port that you can squirt oil into for a few seconds before shutting off the engine. 

11/1/20 @ 1:16 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

JW, the dealer said it may be best to fog them yet, the spray is pretty cheap, and it doesnt take that much time, of which I have plenty of. it's not going to hurt them either.

11/1/20 @ 12:27 PM
Jabberwalker
Jabberwalker
User since 4/21/04

I was under the impression that fogging the cylinders was not necessary for 4-strokes.

10/20/20 @ 12:56 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

Update, it is the 5/8 socket.

10/14/20 @ 7:10 PM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

i dont need plugs, i just want to get the socket to pull them so i can fog the cylinders for the winter, i only have maybe 50 hours max on the motor.

10/13/20 @ 7:25 AM
westfieldW
westfieldW
User since 10/9/16

When you purchase your spark plugs just measure it. Or just go to the dealership where you purchased your boat and ask a mechanic.

10/12/20 @ 7:58 PM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

Sswpriz, Remove the cowling and look at the attached sticker/plate. It has Mercury and 'Emission Control Information' written across the top.Contained within the info, it will list the recomended spark plug and gap. I'm positive it'll be a NGK, probably #DCPR7E. That one is a 5/8" plug. If the sticker lists a different part # just look that up on NGK web page for the specs.

Both Fleet Farm and Farm & Fleet have a good selection of NGK plugs usually cheaper than the dealership.

Displaying 1 to 9 of 9 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE