Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Sonar Shuts Down When Cranking

9/28/20 @ 7:37 PM
ORIGINAL POST
hallpass
User since 7/6/01

I replaced my sonar unit up front recently and used the same wiring running back to the auxiliary power panel.  When I crank the big motor, the sonar cuts out.  The old one  didn’t.  The console sonar trips to (low voltage), but my thought is that’s because I have my voltage warning set to 11.5 volts.  Any thoughts on what may be happening?

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/30/20 @ 7:50 AM
thedamfisherman
MEMBER since 4/18/13

mine did the same thing, took it in and replaced the battery. problem solved. I thought he was nuts, Im always learning

9/30/20 @ 6:06 AM
hallpass
User since 7/6/01

Thanks guys.  Leaning on the battery replacement side even though it’s only three years old because I fish the big lake solo quite a bit.  

I appreciate all the feedback!

9/29/20 @ 8:22 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Myself and several others have experienced this issue, Two parts to problem, upgrade battery and increase gauge of wires running from battery to sonar.

9/29/20 @ 5:51 PM
Plmlk
Brent Hess
MEMBER since 12/18/07

Agree with Mendota!

Time for a new battery...

The Woodlands Resort
(262) 661-3968
9/29/20 @ 3:45 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
See picture

The starting side of your battery

Is the big lug side of the battery just like your car it connected on the large lug

The accessory side is the small bolt 

Separate the two and see if that solves your problem instead of running them all on the wing nuts

it's also recommended to make sure everything's nice and tight to use locking nylon nuts

That's on my list of replacing soon

9/29/20 @ 10:51 AM
Waltrmathow
User since 3/19/11

I just experienced this similar incident... noticed it several times 5-6 times while cranking/starting my motor and then my cranking battery died... luckily I had a pull start to rely on...charged the battery all night when got back and hasn't done it since.

9/29/20 @ 10:30 AM
mendota
MEMBER since 12/19/01

I assume the console unit tripping is a new symptom?

Sounds like your starting battery is starting to age.  As batteries age, their impedance rises, so the voltage drops ever lower when you apply a heavy load, like starting the big motor.   This is your warning that the battery is getting old.

And of course, the new electronics may be more sensitive to voltage dips.  It is the way, these days.

A new battery of any type will likely solve the problem.  If you can afford it, the AGM types are lower impedance than the flooded batteries, (less likely to cause your problem) and last longer.

9/29/20 @ 9:16 AM
welderman
MEMBER since 12/20/09

check your connections on battery i had the same problem . i changed(eyelet) connections for gps on bat. and made sure the connection on bat . is good and tight. i took the wing nuts off and went w/ nuts.

9/29/20 @ 8:21 AM
Herb2
User since 12/28/18

You are lucky motor is starting, battery is very low! Get biggest battery that will fit tray.

9/28/20 @ 9:12 PM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

Typical issue.  Your motor must take a lot of cranking amps to get it to turn over.  You can put your sonar on standby just prior to starting, and that should fix the issue.  

Also, a new larger battery should fix the issue as well.  

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.