MORE
Boats & Motors

Smoker craft 161 Pro Mag??

3/22/20 @ 10:14 PM
INITIAL POST
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I’ve been keeping my eye open for a new used boat. I have a small 12ft bass boat with a 6hp evinrude now that’s fine for small inland lakes but I would like to get something a bit bigger and better so I can fish bigger lakes without spending a ton of money. If I had my way I’d go buy a $30,000 Lund but...... that’s not in the cards now, maybe later down the road.  I came across a 2001 Smoker craft 161 pro mag with 60hp merc, side counsel, Helix locator and bow mount trolling motor w/Ipilot. Looks to be in pretty good shape from pics, I may go look at it in person tomorrow. I don’t have a ton of experience with different boat brands. Anyone have experience or advise on this make/model? Thanks. 

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
3/11/21 @ 12:30 PM
boatarama
User since 3/11/21

I have a 1995 pro mag for sale. It is the 30th anniversary addition with all the graphics and fancy seats. It was bought in P.A by an older couple for $15,000 new. They took it to the lake one day, didn't like boating and put it up in the garage with three tarps and covers on it. It now has a total of 25 hours from new. They ordered it with a galvanized trailer also. I bought it last year from the widow and brought it to Indiana. I already have a nice center console so don't need the smoker craft. It has the 90 hp mercury outboard that looks like its never been started. No dings, dents, scratch pretty much a brand new boat. Even the motor has special 30th anniversary stickers. The electric trolling motor has never been put in the forward drop down. It is a laser with wireless controls. When I say new condition it is a museum piece. Live wells have never been used. Has the original fancy stereo also. Tilt steering wheel, 3 seats and the carpet is perfect. No fade or stains. I have the original bill of sale, manuals for everything on the boat and all titles (trailer and boat) are in clear and in my name.

4/8/20 @ 7:13 PM
Merc4Stroke
User since 10/8/09

In 1998 I bought a new '97 161 Pro Mag with a 4 stroke 50 on it. The 50 was the biggest 4 stroke made at the time.  I looked at boats for a year and a half before making a decision on the Smoker.  We have had many wonderful years of service out of it, and it's still in great shape.  Smoker Craft and Sylvan are built in the same factory, it sounds like the Sylvans just come out of the other end of the building. Everything has held up well over the 22 years it has been in service.  The only things I have ever replaced are the livewell pumps. One quit working, and the other one apparently froze, and cracked (filling the bottom of the boat up with water, instead of the livewell) but the bilge pump worked very well, thankfully!  Now I suck a little pink antifreeze into the livewells, as I winterize.   Over all, it would be nice to have a little more room, length and width, but then we might not be able to access some of the spots we like to fish. Ultimately, the 161Pro Mag is perfect for us.  I'd like a couple more horses (it's rated for a 90) but love the non-stinky quiet of the 4 stroke engine.

3/31/20 @ 7:05 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Couple weeks ago I called the guy with the smoker craft and told him I’d come look at it after work. As my luck goes I was leaving work and he calls and tells me it’s sold. After a lot of searching I was pretty sold on that boat and figured I’d buy it if  it all checked out, oh well. Later that evening my wife comes in by me with her phone and says how bout this one I found?  She shows me a picture of a 2013 Crestliner 1600 Fish Hawk for sale.  I say it looks great but it’s almost twice the price as the one I was looking at. Her reply, “so what you deserve it and we’ll call it your birthday present”. Wow I must’ve done something right! Lol. Went and looked at it the next day and it’s now parked in my garage!  Can’t wait to get it out!  

3/24/20 @ 9:46 AM
dpacapt
dpacapt
PRO MEMBER User since 1/16/09

I have owned my fair share of boats and I am on my second Smoker Craft, wish I didn't get rid of the first one. First one was a 19 ft. walk thru with a 135 merc, don't remember the year, sold it to get a bigger boat for Lake Michigan, ended up not using that as much as I thought I would and went back to a Smoker Craft, this time i have a 1984 18ft walk thru with an 90 merc. I did not due my homework on this boat and ended having to replace the transom, not the end of the world but was a lot of work. After spending 3 years undoing what the last guy did and adding my own tweeks it is my favorite boat yet.  I will only own Smoker Craft from now on.

3/23/20 @ 7:03 PM
wldh
User since 3/14/08

Welderguy  I have a 15' sylvan 50 hp mercury roller trailer in excellent condition that I will be selling for $4900.00 you can pm me or call 262-271-2747 . I haven't listed it yet because we just got back from down south. If I have your number I can send you pictures.

3/23/20 @ 6:28 PM
Luckylenny11
User since 5/13/19

I just bought a 1996 Smoker Craft 151 Resorter last year, for the same type of fishing you do and I absolutely love it.  Mine did not have some of the bells and whistles that you mentioned (specifically, Ipilot and a newer humminbird) So I bought that stuff myself, changed the carpet, and had the boat rewired to fix the bilge pump.  Other than that, the boat was stored properly and well-kept.  Which, as previous posts mentioned, will be the ultimate deciding factor on whether you should buy.  You could run into issues with any brand of boat, so don't let that encourage or deter you.  Do your due diligence, and if it all checks out, pull the trigger.  One note though, you may be able to find a bit cheaper boat, that's somewhat of a project and come out for less than $7500.  But I guess that is a matter of preference.

Good luck!

3/23/20 @ 5:21 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

Shellfish, great thorough reply, thanks! I’m not looking for a boat to fish Lake Michigan or Green Bay but I would like to fish Winnebago more as well as the rivers in spring for walleye. I have buddies I tag along with now on bigger lakes but the last few years my wife is really getting into fishing and wants us to have a nicer boat of our own. Yes you read that right,  my wife wants me to buy a boat! LOL. The majority of my fishing is Panfish, bass & northerns So that size and style boat would be perfect for us I just don’t have much experience with Smokercraft. Doing a little research I see some people call them “joker craft” and some say they leak. But a guy I know has a really nice newer Lund and he has leaking issues as well so.... I usually take people’s reviews with a grain of salt.  The guy is asking $7,500.  I appreciate the feedback fellas!

3/23/20 @ 11:31 AM
Raider19
PRO MEMBER User since 7/22/18

I purchased a 161 new and i wish i still had it,it was a great boat and i sold it and that was a big mistake,wish i still had it,that boat will keep you smiling!

3/23/20 @ 8:26 AM
CrawlerHarness
User since 10/10/17

I think a lot of experienced guys including myself would have no issue with the old 2-strokes.  They are built like tanks and very simple to diagnose problems and easy to find new parts to repair.  

The newer 4-strokes you have to pay someone else to repair.  But they offer better gas mileage, are a little quieter, weigh significantly more, and are more reliable. 

Back the original poster, a 1995-2004 2-stroke motor is a good motor.  Although I would much prefer an Evinrude/Johnson over a Mercury.  

3/23/20 @ 7:42 AM
JigIsUp
User since 1/12/06

In my opinion, the boat will be fine.  The motor is a different story.  Given your screen name I'm going to assume you are rather handy.  I fished out of a 16' Smoker Craft Pro Angler 16' that was a 1983 model for years.  We bought it used in early 90's and sold it in 2002.  That boat was solid as far as never leaking, and we replaced seats, flooring, carpet, etc...  That's really pretty easy work.  The engine, a Merc Classic 50, was a great engine at the time, but was still problematic given its age and being an old 2-stroke.

My dad has the boat we replaced this with...2002 Mercury 40hp 4-stroke...he's never had it in the shop.  We do oil and lube one time a year...starts on the first turn of the key every time.  I've never done the research, so I'm speaking in analogies, but the repair rate on the 4-strokes/Etech's has to be much better than the older 2-strokes.   

3/23/20 @ 7:30 AM
Sswpriz
User since 5/8/02

welderguy, if I may be so bold as to ask what are they asking in price for that boat ?

3/23/20 @ 7:01 AM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

Welderguy.  

Buying a (new to you) boat is always exciting and can be a little nerve raking.  I don't have personal knowledge of mirrorcraft boats but I am on my 5th boat from 14 ft to 20ft, glass and aluminum. 

First, look at what type of fishing you do most.  Pick the boat that best matches that scenario.   If you want to frequently explore the depths of lake Michigan or Green bay you will probably need a bigger boat, probably glass.  You would also need the corresponding truck to pull it.

If small lakes and rivers are your passion, a smaller aluminum style boat that can run shallow and tow and launch easily at unimproved ramps could be your choice. 

Saying that,  can a 16 foot boat fish in lake Michigan or a 21 ft glass walleye boat fish that 100 acre lake or river?  They sure can, but both compromise what conditions or style of fishing they are best suited for.

On checking the new boat out.  How clean and maintained does the boat look.  Everyone who sells a boat cleans it as best they can.  Look under the old dirt.  Are there lots or unusual amounts of dents and scratches.   Look at batteries and wiring set ups.  Is the wire setup clean, orderly,  nonfrayed.  Is the battery secured correctly .  If seats, are they clean and not overworn for a boat of its age.  Look under the engine cowl.  Is it clean or filled with dirt, grime, bugs.  If safely possible, start motor.  It should start easily without too much smoke.  Ask about oil changes.  Look at the oil.  Look at the prop and skeg, are they beat up or clean and smooth.

Ask how boat was stored.  If it was left out uncovered or was it always garage stored.   Examine the transom carefully.  Look for any signs of rot or water intrusion.  Tap around the transom with block of wood and listen for hollow sounding spots.  Is the transom warped or damaged in any way.  Also look up the keel line and look for out of line or bent.

Most small boats come with trailer.  This is also part of the deal and could be part of any problems you could be purchasing.  Check tires, axle, look for leaking bearings.  Ask when last bearing maintenance was done.  How does overall appearance of trailer look.  If beat and battered you could assume that was how boat was treated.  Just talking with the owner can help.  Look at any other equipment the guy has, lawn mower, rototiller, bikes, his truck (etc).   If his other equipment is clean and sharp and well maintained, you could assume that's how he takes care of his boat.

Lots to check for,  but good used boats are out there.  You don't have to buy the first one you see.  

Good luck.

Let us all know what you find.

Shellfish 

3/22/20 @ 10:25 PM
SkiLLz4GiLLz
SkiLLz4GiLLz
User since 2/4/09

I have a 2010 smokercraft 161 resorter. This is my 1st boat i bought. No real complaints from me,however my next boat will definitely be fiberglass,have a full windshield and maybe a little bigger

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE