SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Small plastic bass boats

1/26/20 @ 2:19 PM
INITIAL POST
Jeff H
User since 3/22/03

Has anyone owned one of those eight to twelve foot plastic "bass boats?" Two of the most popular are the Bass Raider and the Bass Hunter. What are your thoughts on them? Did they hold up, and was fishing out of them ok, especially with two people? Thank you.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
4/8/20 @ 11:41 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

I just brought mine home from storage. This is a great little boat.

4/8/20 @ 11:28 AM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

You are correct. Any motorized boat of any length. I had better get mine registered.

4/2/20 @ 9:15 PM
banjo dan
User since 1/5/04

I had a Basstender 11.3 with a 7.5hp 2-stroke when I was in my 20's. I bought it new, and bought a slightly used jetski trailer for it. Later on, I tried a new 9.9hp Mercury 4-stroke but I thought it was too heavy and went back to the 7.5hp 2-stroke. 

I miss it quite a bit sometimes. Are you going to win races or look cool? Negative. But it was so easy to tow and launch, easy to beach without worry, very stable, and was rigged very nicely with electrical. Good sized live well and dry storage too. 

I didn't use the bow seat, so the casting deck was plenty big. I reversed the handle on a stern mount trolling motor and used it on the bow. I just steered with my leg. I think the biggest water I ever had it on was Lake Butte des Morts, which can get choppy, and it was fine. 

There's a lot to be said for a boat that can just be flipped over in the backyard for winter, an outboard you can easily lift and carry to the garage, and a light trailer you can move around by yourself. Taking it to a do-it-yourself car wash and not worrying about carpeting or anything was really nice too.

It was a surprisingly great little boat and I don't have anything bad to say about it.

3/10/20 @ 11:38 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

One shot- Unless I read the regulations wrong you need to register your boat if you plan on using a motor.  There might be a length limit though.  I registered my kayak as I use a trolling motor on it on occasion.  I just didn't want to chance it either way.

3/10/20 @ 11:28 AM
mac da gaff
mac da gaff
PRO MEMBER User since 9/23/01

https://freedomelectricmarine.com/twin-troller-models-packages/

I have been looking at this little unit. Seems it would fit the bill for small lakes in Waushara county, for gills and bass. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

3/10/20 @ 10:09 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Sarge

Since you have a motor on  , don't you need registration for it ?

3/10/20 @ 9:23 AM
Survivor Chick
User since 3/10/20

I was given a bass hunter boat.  When I got it, it had a hole in it and it was full of huge ants.  I am worried that they could have eaten some of the foam out.  I am going to test to see how it floats, but I am wondering if I could use some of the self expanding foam in it?  There is the kind in the can and also the new one that you bust one side of packet into the other side and mix it and pour.  Like at Home Depot for fence posts.  I am wondering if these type foams will absorb any water that gets into the hull or not.  Has anyone put foam into your boat and what results did you have?  What brands did you use?  Thanks for the help!

1/27/20 @ 3:49 PM
ol sarge
ol sarge
User since 3/8/04

Bought my 10 ft pond prowler last summer and have not looked back. I can get to places other can only dream of. I had a canoe before but got tired of getting wet. This thing is sturdy and I don’t think you could tip it if you tried. Very happy with it.

1/27/20 @ 1:22 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

My buddy garbage picked one 15 years ago and it's still floating.  It's ok.  Stable enough, doesn't take on water, ok room for two adults.  Having said all that, if I'm solo fishing I'm taking my kayak every time.

1/27/20 @ 12:21 PM
Graceonpoint
User since 10/24/17

There fine for small ponds and such, surprisingly stable to fish out of.  Would not recommend for river and streams the hulls are not that durable.   We popped a hole in my buddy's rubbing the bottom drifting through a riffle that a plastic canoe wouldn't have batted an eye at.

1/27/20 @ 11:06 AM
Figure-8
User since 5/17/06

I've had a Dolphin Pro 120 for years with a 15 hp Johnson and a bow mount trolling motor. It's a great boat for small lakes and rivers, very stable even with 2 guys. If you look you can pick them up used fairly reasonable at times.

1/26/20 @ 9:13 PM
WelderGuy
WelderGuy
User since 12/19/10

I have a Basstender 11.3’ with a 6hp Evinrude on back and trolling motor up front. Great boat for inland lakes for 2 people!  It has a lot of nice features as well, live well with aerator, bilge pump, storage, lights and swivel seats. I like mine.

1/26/20 @ 8:52 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

We've used one for years at my wife's fathers home, he has a 10 acre lake to fish that's loaded with bass and pike. I'm 225 he's 190 and an old 28 lb trolling motor moves us around fine. Would I take it out on the Mississippi river, no but for a small pond or lake they're stable. I think the one we use is a tracker. Comfortable too.

Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE