MORE
Boats & Motors

Small outboards

4/12/22 @ 12:50 PM
INITIAL POST
lawdog616
lawdog616
PRO MEMBER User since 1/20/04

I bought a small 14 ft Alumacraft boat last year.  The previous owner had a 20-hp long shaft on it and I decided to downsize and upgrade the motor.  I picked up a 6hp short shaft Yamaha.........Anyone have any pros and cons on this little motor?

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
5/23/22 @ 9:06 AM
lawdog616
lawdog616
PRO MEMBER User since 1/20/04

Thanks, folks, for all the words of wisdom.  The transom is short, and the motor sits with the cavitation plate at level with the bottom of the boat as is recommended.  This is a 1969 Alumacraft boat so it is not a deep v but a shallow one.  I don't really need a lot of speed, I fish primarily small shallow lakes, my favorite lake is filled with logs and bogs, so speed is not ideal travel.  I am more concerned with fuel economy and reliability. 

5/7/22 @ 8:35 AM
Mike Gr
User since 7/2/14

I have a 14 foot Aluma Craft deep-V hull rated for a maximum 25hp motor. I got it from my dad. He had an older 15hp Merc 2 stroke on it that gave me nothing but problems last year. I decided to put a 4 stroke motor on it and was looking for anything from 15hp to 25hp. It needed a 20" long shaft because when the transom is measured it is 20" deep. I also wanted an electric start, power tilt, rear tiller. All I could find was a 15hp Suzuki with 20" shaft, electric start, power tilt. I am in the break-in period of the motor but having problems. First off vibration, then after about 2 hours of varying speeds low to half throttle I brought it up to about 3/4 throttle and the warning light comes up and the motor starts to sputter and shut down so I back off. Heading into a shop today to see if they can tell me what the codes are. 

5/5/22 @ 6:32 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Probably rated for a 25hp so I would of got a 20-25 hp. But if you only could afford a 5 hp it should be fine but wind  current and long distances will be a bitch. Plus are you sure a short shaft will work cause my buddy got a 40 hp on Craigslist and he didn't know the shaft made a difference but when we put it on the boat you could totally tell it was to short. But he had to try it anyway and in the water the top of the prop was sticking about a inch above water and on plane didn't happen. Resold.

5/4/22 @ 10:03 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Always go with the maximum horsepower rating for the boat is what I'd do.  You can always go a little slower but if you need the speed you'll have as much as that boat can handle.

5/4/22 @ 7:33 AM
waterbugg
User since 6/13/09

Just a reminder that you can make a larger outboard go slow, but you can't make a smaller otuboard go fast.

5/3/22 @ 8:50 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

I have an Alumacraft v16. I cant plane the boat with my 5 horse Merc. If I was you , I would have went bigger, like a 10 horse. That would likely plane the boat . It would go much faster and use less gas. 

4/12/22 @ 7:24 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11

First, i humbly applaud your choise of a yamaha. Have had my 1989, 15 horse, two stroke since 1999. Now I don’t need to go long distances, but the absolute reliability is astounding. Only changed oil every other year and plug 2x till last year, had impeller& rope replaced. So repairs about $175 since I got it in 99. 

Would ask if your aluimicraft is the ever popular t14 model.  If it is I think your new motor will be fine. I owned a t14 and my 15 horse seemed too big- got rid of boat and kept motor. That six horse would do just fine on those light, shallow draft t14s

4/12/22 @ 6:26 PM
Shellfish
User since 7/19/03

I have an older 14 alumacraft i kept from my dad.  I modernized it with lights, swivel seats, and a small control panel for locator and light controls.  I found a 15 hp Johnson 2 stroke.  Perfect match for this small boat.  Good speed with two guys and gear.  Trolls down slow if I need.  Great boat for getting into small lakes with crappy landings.  Any smaller motor might not be enough umph.  

4/12/22 @ 6:03 PM
Tunaboy
User since 1/13/15

The old OMC 15 is a very powerful motor in a light 75# package. I also have a 9.9 Johnson that I use on the same boat.

The 15 is a welcome boost. Let it get you up on plane and you can throttle it back and still make good time with 2 fishermen and gear.

4/12/22 @ 4:59 PM
Brent Hess
Brent Hess
PRO MEMBER User since 12/18/07

Yikes!

My first thought is that your new motor is too short!

A long shaft motor is not needed for a boat with a short transom, so I’m assuming the previous owner purchased a long shaft motor because he had a high transom and he needed one…

If your shaft is too short, you won’t go anywhere other than idle speed. 

Also, I have a 14 foot johnboat with a 15 hp Johnson on it. I have also ran it with a nine horse, and it was a dog. I certainly wouldn’t want to go very far with a six horse… 

If you’re on a small 100 acre lake or something, I suppose that would be fine - just know it will be a pretty slow rig

4/12/22 @ 3:41 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03

It will get you where you need to go, just 3 x as long of a drive....

4/12/22 @ 3:35 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

What year and model?

20hp down to 6hp is a pretty big drop.

What size transom if he had a 20" and you went with a 15"?

Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE