SEARCH
MORE
Boats & Motors

Seat Post Removal

7/7/20 @ 12:21 AM
INITIAL POST
Buster1
User since 9/14/06

Anyone have a simple solution for removing seat posts that are stuck in the base and probably have been for years? I bought a used 2006 Alumacraft last year and just now tried moving the postion of the seats and they don't want to be moved. Gonna try a bit of lithium spray and let it soak for a bit but not real confident in that. 

Any suggestions?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
8/2/20 @ 1:40 AM
Buster1
User since 9/14/06

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I took the easy route and gave the post and base a little soaking of WD40 and let it soak over night. With a little persuasion the next morning and leaving the seat on for leverage the post came out of the base. 

7/8/20 @ 12:51 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01

Many years ago, I put WD-40 on the bases before I put the seats in the boat. First time I did a hole shot, brother in law did a nice backwards somersault.  I wouldn't hesitate to use a lube to get it out but wipe it down really good before re-inserting. Mrt.

7/8/20 @ 12:11 PM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

yea, guess I wasn't clear....use the 2X4 on top of the post to protect it, use a hammer to "tap" it...not rap it....whatever...good luck at any rate....

7/8/20 @ 11:46 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

x2 prop-buster's post... I've had similar issues, I leave the seats so they can be pulled off, and then you can get a better grip on things... also, don't put any grease, etc in the socket, just attracts more dust, etc, that can cause problems you have now...

7/8/20 @ 10:57 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Probably aluminum corrosion, there must be something out there to loosen it.   Maybe just crud. Compressed air and wiggling, or rapping it with a 2x4 ?    Wear goggles! CARPIO 

7/8/20 @ 9:54 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

if your seat base is one that you have to push the tab in to remove the seat it can be a pia...sand and dust (from trailering) seems to work its way in there and can be a bear to break the seal....remove the seat and place a short 2X4 on top of the post and tap it, don't have to hit that hard just cause the vibration, then grab the top of the post and try pushing/pulling a little to get loose...not sure of the remedy for this other than to make sure to remove the post at different times during the year and make sure the base is clean....hope it helps, can be frustrating

7/8/20 @ 7:10 AM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

Actually if you do need help pulling it straight out

The car jack idea if it's in hydraulic jack and just do as described from the floor to chair bottom straight up

7/7/20 @ 6:11 PM
tutor
tutor
User since 6/24/07

Try using car or truck jack between floor and seat!

7/7/20 @ 6:05 PM
mattw
mattw
PRO MEMBER User since 5/6/16

If you have the 1.77 spring lock base and you end up breaking the plastic , you do not need to replace the whole base , you can get a repair kit for the plastic sleeve that's about 26.00 plus shipping , I had to repair mine and thats what I did. 

7/7/20 @ 4:38 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

Your seat base looks like this it just pulls straight out

The post in the base do not spin

If you attempt to move the post from the base by turning it you'll just break the plastic and now you'll have to replace the whole base

There's nothing that can be holding it together it's just plastic against metal it can't corrode

7/7/20 @ 4:36 PM
BâssÂddîçt ©¸
BâssÂddîçt ©¸

If your seat base looks like this it's a fixed bolted in seat

7/7/20 @ 3:32 PM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

DP, Yes, I do know what a dead blow hammer is. No, I wouldn't use one in this case. Nor would I use a pipe wrench either unless the intent was to remove the seat post at all cost, no concern for damage. If that were the case, maybe try another old farmer trick like wrap a logging chain around it and use a come along.

7/7/20 @ 10:38 AM
Deer Puncher
User since 1/20/17

Not everyone  has or knows what a dead blow hammer is..old plumber/farmer trick to gently tap around the stuck item takes time...or wrap with duct tape and use a pipe wrench to lessen the damage or pad the jaws..work it both directions 

7/7/20 @ 9:47 AM
mopesrus
User since 4/8/13

I agree with the penetrating oil suggestion. I disagree with using a hammer on an aluminum seat post unless you don't mind damaging it. Maybe try a strap wrench to rotate the post in the base while using upward force to pull it out after the penetrating oil has had time to do its thing.

7/7/20 @ 12:35 AM
MileMark_714
MileMark_714
User since 12/26/10

Kano Kroil works great,penetrates fast.Then hit post a few times with a dead blow hammer.

Probably one of those wretched taper-lock seat bases?

Displaying 1 to 15 of 17 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE