MORE
Boats & Motors

Redoing Bunk Board - Carpet

8/20/19 @ 3:59 PM
INITIAL POST
Moose55
User since 5/30/04

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2016 Alumacraft Navigator 165 (aluminum boat) and my trailer bunks need to be replaced.  The boat is red, trailer is red, and the bunks are red as well.  I would like to redo the bunks and stick to the red colored carpet.  I plan on using non-presure treated 2x4 for the bunks with stainless steel staples and bolts.  

My issue is locating red carpet for the bunks.  I really don't want to use grey or black and keep with the original red color.  Are there any recommendations for bunk carpeting that is red?  I keep seeing bunk specific carpet but none of it is sold in the color I require.  What do/have people used for bunk carpeting?

Thank you,

Rob Smith

Displaying 16 to 25 of 25 posts
9/5/19 @ 4:18 PM
Moose55
User since 5/30/04

For those of you that have the Ultimate Bunk Boards.  Did you mount your boards with the recessed hardware?  That is where the head of the bolt is sunken into the board.  Or did you elect to put your bolts into the bottom of the board?  

Thanks again,

Rob

9/5/19 @ 4:13 PM
Moose55
User since 5/30/04

The question came up about why I need to replace my bunks.  The trailer is a 2006 so it is about 13 years old.  I am the 2nd owner of the boat/motor/trailer.  This Spring when I was coming home from Delavan.  I drove about 10 miles down a road that was being resurfaced.  The road was ground down and there were numerous holes.  When I came home I noticed a guide bunk (bunk located on the side) had the bolts come out.  I went into my garage and took out a new stainless steel lag bolt.  I tried to bolt the side bunk back into position and the bolt never grabbed the wood.  The wood was completely rotten.  I was 2 days away from leaving for Canada.  So I took the carpet off, cut off a 2x4, then put the carpet over the 2x4 and attached to the trailer.  Then when I was in Canada I had to do the same repair to a bottom bunk.  

After all of these issues I want the piece of mind to replace all of the bunks.  When you replace the bunk boards you can not use pressure treated wood.  This is because the pressure treated chemicals, overtime damages the aluminum on the boat.

Rob

8/27/19 @ 12:45 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
As all have said, go with Ultimate Bunk Boards
8/22/19 @ 4:50 PM
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

I was thinking the same, I've got a 2002 fiberglass boat with the original bunks yet. Carpet is getting thin which is why this thread interested me, but after reading I'll probably just go composite.

8/22/19 @ 3:23 PM
Lundguy2
User since 4/22/15

I just have to ask, why do they need to be replaced??  I have a 2015, it's in the water about once a week during be season and don't know why I should need to replace them.  I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

8/21/19 @ 9:29 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

After converting to composite bunks, I would never consider going back to carpet.

8/21/19 @ 7:28 AM
Igor
User since 6/20/01

I put composite bunks on my 17 foot 2 seasons ago and it was the best move I ever made.  You'd be amazed how easily the boat slides on and off not to mention centers itself when loading.  Haven't have to back in to re-adjust since buying them.

If you fish alone on a regular basis, things are MUCH simpler.

8/21/19 @ 6:15 AM
Paranoid Percher
User since 8/19/18

Overtons on line has red carpet bought some this spring for my bunks

8/20/19 @ 5:04 PM
Moose55
User since 5/30/04

Regarding the ultimate bunk boards.  I have seen them and for the price of carpet to redo my 2qty 8ft bunks and 2qty 4ft guide rails.  They are not that much more expensive.  Do you have them on your boat trailer?  If you have them on your trailer how do you like them?  

Thanks,

Rob

Displaying 16 to 25 of 25 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE