MORE
Boats & Motors

Propeller condition

6/27/20 @ 10:56 AM
INITIAL POST
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I found a used 13 x 19 Mercury prop but the outer housing had a chip in it. Will that cause any issues? Just looking for a spare prop for my 90 hp optimax.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts
6/29/20 @ 8:57 AM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I did end up buying the prop. It looks like it had been repaired and on one blade it had a small bend on the outside edge. But overall it looked pretty good. Could tell it was repainted. I ended up getting it for $50 but had to drive an hour to get it. 

6/29/20 @ 6:28 AM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

Looks like that would be fine for a spare. I don't bother getting props repaired anymore, I just buy new ones. As others have mentioned its around $75 to repair a prop and for my 50 hp merc i can buy a new prop for around $115 and have it in 2 days from amazon. I found repaired props don't last long and are weaker. Also looking at a 2 week turn around in most cases.

6/28/20 @ 10:29 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

you could probably repair that chip with some JB Weld putty

putty

6/28/20 @ 6:19 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Looks like a good $50 spare prop to me. 

6/28/20 @ 6:03 AM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

The seller is asking $60. Looking at the photos does that sound like a good deal? It does include the hub.

6/28/20 @ 3:36 AM
Master_Piker
Master_Piker
User since 12/7/05

That little ding on the rim of the exhaust hub will not affect anything, especially on a spare prop! The blades are what your concern is. That hub is close to the prop shaft (less affect on balance while spinning) and does not have any effect on the actual propulsion of the boat. A chip out of a blade is farther from the center of the prop shaft and when combined with the difference in surface area in contact with the water, the balance of the prop is thrown off due to metal missing on the blade AND the difference in surface area contacting the water. That little chip out of the hub will affect nothing. 

6/27/20 @ 3:54 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

You can take it in and they will surely fix it for very little. I just had a totally beat up prop get fixed at All Out Marine for about $75? It was for my 25 horse Merc. 

6/27/20 @ 3:51 PM
jbird68
jbird68
User since 1/24/05

I know dings in the blades can cause disturbance under the water. Just didn't know if a chip in the round had the same effect.

6/27/20 @ 2:54 PM
262 Fishing
262 Fishing
User since 8/10/18

You won't get optimal performance with it but it will push you forward. I've seen worse. That would be fine as a spare.

Edit: I was just looking at the blades. I re-read your post and so I'm not sure what issues the chip in the outer housing might cause. I don't think any, but I'm not the most mechanically inclined.

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE